PDA

View Full Version : ATO Question

wardworld
12/29/2008, 12:09 PM
I was originally planning to have my RO container sit higher than my sump (on a stand) and use gravity to auto-top-off my sump. I was planning on putting a float valve in my sump at the appropriate water level to control the flow from the RO. Anyone see any issues with this? The sump is a 100 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank.

billdogg
12/29/2008, 01:34 PM
When (not if - When) the float valve fails (go ahead - take a vacation) you will drain the entire topoff container into the tank.

stugray
12/29/2008, 02:11 PM
I have been using a float valve for over three years now for my ATO, and never had a problem.

One thing to look out for are the ones that have a float made from two pieces of plastic glued together.

I have heard horror stories about the float leaking and filling up with water.

The one I use has stainless steel valve parts & a single piece polypropylene float.

Stu

Harry_Fish
12/29/2008, 02:19 PM
I am in the planning phase of going to a basement sump and using a rubbermaid stock tank.

My thought was to drill an over flow drain in the
stock tank that leads to drain pipe.

That way I would not wake to find a house
full of water is something sticks open.

wardworld
12/29/2008, 02:59 PM
Stu, any idea where you got your float valve????

Doahh
12/29/2008, 03:03 PM
Or have a backup with a sealed container and a tube about a 1/2" above the water level... if the float fails then the tube fills with water making it so no more fresh water can go in till the water drops again... I think this was one of Stus ideas

wardworld
12/29/2008, 03:06 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but I'm afraid I'd need to see it to get my head around the idea....:)

oldsaltman
12/29/2008, 03:07 PM
I have been using my DIY ATO for several years with no problem. The water container, one small powerhead, one 12vdc relay, 12vdc power supply and two float switches (one more than you need but it makes it almost failsafe). I would always be concerned with a float valve and a flood.

zlwags85
12/30/2008, 08:18 AM
Does anyone have any pictures of their setups? I am getting ready to start finishing my fish room and I'm looking for ideas as well. Pictures would make sense! Thanks.

stugray
12/30/2008, 09:39 AM
wardworld,

"Stu, any idea where you got your float valve????"

It came with my RO/DI filter when I bought it on ebay 3 years ago.

I cant find one exactly like it, but usplastics has many different kinds.

Stu

r-balljunkie
12/30/2008, 08:23 PM
just buy a full out turnkey setup from someone like autotopoff.com

floats can and will fail. if you have snails, they can get lodged in the float level, a whole litany of things can go wrong. i used a float for years, no probs except the occcasional flood.

if you want to go straight from RO to sump, get a fail to close solenoid valve, with 2 stage float switch!

this is all the insurance you will need.
end of the day, you try to save 40 bux, end up paying a 100, i know....this is how i live, i am a cheapskate!

in this instance, its best to just pay it. i know i know, this is the DIY section, but my .02 cents on something this important, to both your tank, and your carpeting.
c

oldsaltman
12/30/2008, 08:31 PM
Here is a very simple ATO that works very well.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/115850Slide3.GIF

Sorry about the old photo, but it was all I had. The system is cheap and works. It has never failed for me!

coralfragger101
12/30/2008, 08:39 PM
I use just the regular float valve. Never had an issue yet. I did zip tie a piece of styro to it though just in case it decides to crack on me.