PDA

View Full Version : bad batch of salt ?

BucNtears
12/29/2008, 01:14 PM
I just checked my salt {reef crystals} after letting it mix for 24 hours and came up with
Ca 320
dkh 6.72
alk 2.4
mg 1200

I keep the bucket tightly sealed and the salt is less then a month old.
Seems abit on the low side. Your thoughts.

Anemonebuff
12/29/2008, 01:45 PM
Give it a good stir(the dry salt). It's not always constant. However, Reef Crystals is a little on the low side most of the time. The higher the S.G. you have you will usually have higher trace levels as well.

A SG os 1.026 will generally have higher levels of trace elements than a tank kept at 1.021.

indianagrays
12/29/2008, 01:53 PM
i dose regularly so even if my salt mix was that low when mixed, it would be up to normal in no time

i agree thats a bit weak, but you did not mention at what salinity those levels were taken

MMOORE0324
12/29/2008, 05:26 PM
Sounds about right for Reef Crystals. I switched from Reef Crystals to the Coralife salt.. and couldn't be happier. I have had a coralline explosion since the swtich. It's the only coralife product I'll use, but it's a good one!

Nereaga
12/29/2008, 06:58 PM
^^^^^ +1 on that!

I went from IO to Coralife and have never looked back. I got tired of buffering my water parameters. With coralife, I don't have to buffer with regular water changes....

Brad

BucNtears
12/29/2008, 07:33 PM
Salt mix at 1.025 with refactor, I mixed for 24 hrs with a mag 9.5 so I'm sure I mixed long enough. I then had to buffer the ca, mg, alk. up. I'm not one to *****, but I'm not likeing the fact that I have to buffer everytime I do a water change.
Is this common when useing RC....

paraletho
12/30/2008, 02:34 PM
There was a thread a couple of days ago in the
chemistry forum about a bad batch of RC and his alkalinty was 15 or 16. It sounds like it didnt get mixed wellenough in the batch and he got the high end.

Capt_Cully
12/30/2008, 02:41 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1298050&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Here we go again. I had been using RC for 4 years without incidence. I got stung with a bucket which they do not consider abnormal due to what it measures. I consider it a bad bucket which varies from the norm that I have experienced in the previous, oh, say...50 buckets.

Drs F&S replaced the bucket and their customer service was top notch if not the best. BUT I didn't have the heart to reply to them that the replacement bucket they sent tested out much the same.

My system is still reeling from the fall out. Stability has been an issue and my investigation only points to the salt mix as the culprit.

paraletho
12/30/2008, 02:47 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1531579

I dont think that pasted right a computor whizz I am not. Posted as Reef Crystal Salt in Chemistry about 6 or 7 days ago