PDA

View Full Version : sick Mandarin

freestone
12/29/2008, 06:48 PM
Help. We just bought a green mandarin from pet shop. When we bought 3 days ago looked fat and healthy. Today noticed he is breathing heavy and not really moving around. We have plenty of copepods ect in tank. He hasn't looked for food since we had him. Please does anyone have any advise?

d-maz
12/29/2008, 09:29 PM
I just had the same thing happen. Mine only lasted 3 1/2 days. Never came out of hiding. The 4th day my CUC had totally stripped off his skin and eyeballs. Wish I had better news for you, but I don`t think you can make him eat.

Aquarist ?s
12/29/2008, 10:53 PM
I've never had one but if you have a refugium, you could try putting the phyto or w/e's in there into your display hopefully taking tons of pods with it. Don't know though. I wanted one for my 90g. After hearing this, *tear* I'll have to reconsider:(

stricknine
12/29/2008, 11:16 PM
Im lucky with a frozen feeding spotted mandarin, but did research it a heck of a lot first. First off, did you quarantine the fish first to get him healthy prior to adding? If not, how was he acclimated? did you take a few hours to drip? Maybe in shock. Also, what do you have in your sump? If theres chaeto or LR rubble its probably a bit of a refugium, may want to try him in there? May also be less stressful, he could have been starved for the last few days/weeks.

Good luck.

jenglish
12/29/2008, 11:30 PM
Mandarins are generally housed in poor conditions in pet stores. Have you ever seen a mandarin in a LFS that was in a proper tank? Most are quite emaciated when you see them for sale. THey seem to disturb easily. I have known people to move them from one properly setup tank to another and have the mandarin freak out and quit eating. A mandarin is something you really want to see if it is eating in the pet store. I wish I had helpful advise for your situation but sometimes a fish just won't eat.

Playa-1
12/30/2008, 01:02 AM
You might try spot feeding some frozen blood worms. My Mandarin loves em.

stricknine
12/30/2008, 01:32 AM
Blood worms? Frozen, same I fead my brothers oscar with while I was fish sitting for 10 months? Thought they were "for freshwater fish only" as stated on the pkg. Are we talking about the same stuff? Frozen cubes?

(and not for human consumption either [as stated on pkg], makes you sick as ever!)

freestone
12/30/2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the help, he looks alittle better today and is moving around some. I still don't notice him eating. I may just put him right in my refug. for awhile. I thought you couldn't quar. due to diet and that they don't have scales ect. Thanks

Sk8r
12/30/2008, 04:17 PM
Fuge may help him. But minimize changes if he's shocky.

SOmetimes they've starved for so long before purchase their digestive system has shut down and they never will eat. good luck with him.

Sk8r
12/30/2008, 04:17 PM
Fuge may help him. But minimize changes if he's shocky.

SOmetimes they've starved for so long before purchase their digestive system has shut down and they never will eat. good luck with him.

jenglish
12/30/2008, 04:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14040661#post14040661 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stricknine
Blood worms? Frozen, same I fead my brothers oscar with while I was fish sitting for 10 months? Thought they were "for freshwater fish only" as stated on the pkg. Are we talking about the same stuff? Frozen cubes?

(and not for human consumption either [as stated on pkg], makes you sick as ever!)

I feed bloodworms all the time to SW and have never had a problem. If your package is marked FW only I would listen but mine (biopure ) says nothing. Perhaps other brands contain bad things for SW

Playa-1
12/30/2008, 05:23 PM
I'm referring to frozen cubed blood worms. The big, fat, red, and juicy ones :lol:. The ones that say they are excellent for all tropical fish both fresh water and marine. I usually don't eat fish food so I couldn't tell you if they would make you sick or not. link (http://www.h2olifefoods.com/h2olife_images/source/01041.htm)

Playa-1
12/30/2008, 05:30 PM
Ooops