PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to T-5?

carnophage
12/29/2008, 08:18 PM
I have a 48in 120g reef tank with 520w PC setup right now. the bulbs cost about $50 a piece to replace and there are 4 (130w) of them for a total of $200. my delema is, should i upgrade to a T-5 fixture? I have heard that the t-5's output more light, but how much wattage would i need to match or surpass the current lighting? Also would it be cost effective to buy a new fixture, and use the t-5's. I currently only keep soft and LPS's in the tank, no clams or SPS's, nor do i plan to. Thanks for you help!

jenglish
12/29/2008, 08:47 PM
well, how much wattage you need depends a lot on reflector. its the reflector and round bulb that really makes a T5 outperform a PC. I think its worth the upgrade just on bulbs lasting between twice and thrice as long as PC. If you get a single reflector over all the t5s then they will put out about equal light as a PC w/ equal reflector. Individual parabolic reflectors greatly increase output. Look into tek lighting. They have very high quality reflectors. my .02

SNAKEMANVET
12/29/2008, 09:17 PM
I am currently useing a 6x54 tek light on my 120,I really like it alot.T5s can be decieving,They put out more light than you think.I have btas and a dersea clam that are doing great. hth

mudskipper1
12/29/2008, 09:20 PM
I think a 6x54w Tek would work very well, and probably allow some sps, I know someone who has a 8x54w tek over that tank and they can keep anything anywhere. Could also go for a Retrofit kit to get more options, but thats your choice...I reccomend the ATI Blue plus for a blue bulb, and the AquaBlue Spezial for a whiter one...JMO

stricknine
12/30/2008, 12:03 AM
If you do decide to go with the T5, post a lamp configuration Q on the T5 thread in the lighting forum, GrimReefer seems to be the pro when it comes to T5. Also, before you commit to breaking the bank on T5's (and spending money seems to be the only thing I do in this hobby) decent lamps are $20USD per if you want something worth while. Sounds like you require 4-6. TX5 is a good 5 lamp for what you are looking for.

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 12:15 AM
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__6x54W_SLR_T5_Very_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

would cost less then 120 a year to buy new lights--- this is a retro fit so youll have to have a canopy or something -

i just put the 4x54 over my 48" 75g aga tank and i like it alot-

that would add up to around 500 watts becuase the ice cap will overdrive the bulbs to around 85 watts a bulb

and it comes with individaul slr reflectors which is very important to get the most out of each bulb

slimy fish
12/30/2008, 01:56 AM
Go with T5s, they are cheaper to buy and run over the long term.

carnophage
12/30/2008, 09:03 AM
What is overdriving bulbs?

returnofsid
12/30/2008, 09:54 AM
Overdriving is when a ballast of higher output is used. For instance, a 48" T5HO bulb is 54 watts. With a higher output ballast, they would put out more wattage, be brighter....BUT need to be replaced more often.

As to your T5 question. Go with the change!!! You'll be amazed and you'll be able to keep anything you want. I currently have a 6 bulb Tek5 fixture over my 75. I'm keeping anything I want. I have high light demanding Acros mid-tank, and they're thriving. I have a Purple Sebae way down at the bottom. 2 T. Croceas about mid tank.

As was mentioned, if you go T5s, place close attention to the reflector design. That's the secret to T5 success!!

If you can fit an 8 bulb Tek5 fixture, go that route!!

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 11:02 AM
Agreed-- except if he's not doing high light sps I'm not sure if 8 bulbs is needed-- however if you go with the retrofit (I posted the link)- to upgrading in the future would be easy becuase to run 6 48" bulbs you have to use two ballast- when you wanna upgrade you can add two more bulbs without adding another ballast--- two ice cap 660 can run 8 bulbs 48" In length

carnophage
12/30/2008, 01:23 PM
So i could do a 6 light fisture with 54w bulbs and it would be putting out about the same as my current hood? Also, about this overdriving, someone stated that by doing this, you have to replace the bulbs more often, but how often? I thought that the bulbs lasted about 12months, how long with them being overdriven? Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14040342#post14040342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by myfrostymember
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__6x54W_SLR_T5_Very_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

would cost less then 120 a year to buy new lights--- this is a retro fit so youll have to have a canopy or something -

i just put the 4x54 over my 48" 75g aga tank and i like it alot-

that would add up to around 500 watts becuase the ice cap will overdrive the bulbs to around 85 watts a bulb

and it comes with individaul slr reflectors which is very important to get the most out of each bulb

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 01:53 PM
bulbs are only overdriven with a icecap660 ballast( I think thats the only one)-- when you replace overdeiven bulbs you have to do it approx every 12-14 months- when you don't overdrive them I believe it's closer to a 16-18 months again not positive but it's something close to that -- do you use a cannopy? Or are you looking for a Hanging pendant fixture style of thing

carnophage
12/30/2008, 02:19 PM
i do not have a canopy now, since the fixture will not fit. but if i do built one, and get the retro kit, will i need fans?

jenglish
12/30/2008, 02:32 PM
well, you may or may not HAVE to have fans but it will certainly be beneficial for cooling and extend bulb life. I think you get a lot more bang for your buck with a retrofit thana premade unit and gives most aquariums a more finished look IMO

SL38
12/30/2008, 03:12 PM
I'd recommend fans. I have a t5 fixture without built in fans, and when it heats up, it seems to not be as bright as when I blow a fan at it.

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 03:19 PM
diff get some fans any type of fan will work but they will diffenetly help out the bulbs and any other heat issues in the yank