PDA

View Full Version : 30 gallon cube, 20 gallon high sump/fuge

E.intheC
12/29/2008, 08:38 PM
Hello everyone here on Reefcentral.

I am starting to seriously plan the tank build, and am on to the sump/fuge area of the planning stages.

Since I'm not going to drill the 30 gallon cube, I'm going to make a 'somewhat hang on back' refug/sump. (will be supported by its own stand.. not hang on, for sure).... I'll have a pump in the 20 gallon fuge that will pull water from the 30 gallon to the 20 gallon fuge. I'll drill a 1 inch return high up on the 20 gallon so it flows directly back into the display.

I'm going to have the fuge house a DSB, live rock, and Chaeto.

Mechanically, the fuge will house the heater, HOB skimmer, and my AC 70 filter (for chemical media only).

My only concern is that I'll be using an AC 70 PowerHead (400 gph) to move water from the 30 to the 20 gal fuge, and it will flow back naturally. I want the water to move quickly and efficiently enough to benefit the display tank and to maintain stability (EX: I don't want the fuge to be overskimmed and the display to be underskimmed.. or the temp in the DT to have swings.. etc)

Will the 400 gph pump be sufficient?

Thanks for the help!

PS... any other questions, comments are greatly appreciated. :)

rusty scupper
12/29/2008, 09:08 PM
sounds like it will work, are you putting any power heads in the main tank to help move water? i would think as long as you can move out whatever water you put into the refuge while while having a fair amount like how a sump works you will be fine. also you have 2/3 of a sump size of what your tank so i would think it would be fine.

E.intheC
12/29/2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you for the reply Rusty scupper. I am going to have 2 Koralias in the display to circulate water as well. I like the idea of the 20 gallon high tank because you're right, it's a lot of extra water holding capacity.. and I want to have a deep sand bed. It also conveniently will fit behind the tank and not look awful

E.intheC
12/30/2008, 05:04 PM
Anyone have an opinion on this?