PDA

View Full Version : ballast expired?

BigJim
12/29/2008, 08:40 PM
I have 2 IceCap 660 ballasts and I think one of them blew up. One ballast controls the white light and the other controls the blue lights. I lifted up the tank lid which lifts up the lights also and one set of the lights went out. I started to smell smoke from one of the ballasts. I tried changing the fuses and both fuses work fine. I then changed over one of the ballasts and it works both lights. The ballast that smells like smoke didn't work either. Is the ballast done? I've just converted to a larger tank and am new to the light setup. Is there anything that I can do to test the ballast before I buy a new one?

Fish_wiz2
12/29/2008, 08:59 PM
if it smells then it's done. but before you go out and buy a new one see if the warranty is still good as icecap have great customer service and will fix it fast

spamreefnew
12/29/2008, 09:25 PM
all you can do is be 100%sure that that all electrical connections are good inside ballast box(if its the type that can be opened for service only) a bad connection will cause it to arc and smell burnt and not fire. but just buy a new one if your not comfortable messin with electrical things.

kgross
12/30/2008, 03:58 PM
Since it is an icecap ballast give them a call. They have great customer service and if the warranty is expired, they will still rebuilt it for around $65 or so.

Kim