PDA

View Full Version : Any hope for this acropora?

LCDRDATA
12/29/2008, 08:47 PM
I'm cross-posting this from the SPS forum...

I purchased the acropora frag below from another reefer several months ago. About six weeks after that I had a nitrate spike. I just recently got that under control (combination of carbon dosing and cheato in my sump); my nitrates & phosphates are now virtually zero, and even during the spike my pH was stable at 8.3, calcium 450-500, alkalinity at 2.5 (dKH 7-8). Unfortunately it's been a couple of weeks since I've seen any polyp extension on this poor frag. I'm trying to decide if it can be saved or if it's already dead. The photos below aren't great but they're the best I can manage with my camera:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/194807acropora.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/194807acropora_2.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/194807acropora_3.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

jnewman
12/29/2008, 08:50 PM
Give it time it has no tissue loss and the polyps may come out @ night. check if that is the case, I have a simular acro and the polyps only come out @ night.

aentrop
12/29/2008, 08:51 PM
If it were dead it would turn bleach white... Its still there and looks like it should have a good chance for recovery as long as your paramaters are good

Tswifty
12/29/2008, 08:55 PM
You've still got color, and it looks like a Tri-Color or something similar, which don't really have crazy PE anyway. So it's definitely NOT dead. Actually looks rather healthy IMO.

Although, what's the flow like? You may also want to check the coral for Red Bugs or some type of pest.

Do you perform any type of medicated dip to all your new additions before adding them?

LCDRDATA
12/29/2008, 09:27 PM
All - thanks for the advice. I was hoping I hadn't killed it, so I guess I'll just continue to monitor how it's doing.

jnewman - you could be right, but I've never seen any polyps on it out at night (I like to check the tank periodically with a red headlamp in the middle of the night). I have seen extension during daylight hours in the past, although I must admit there's a reason this is called a SMALL polyp species (I don't think it could've been out more than 1/8").

Tswifty8 - I guess I'd characterize the flow in that spot as moderate; besides my ~760 gph overflow return I've got a Koralia 3, a Koralia 1, and a Rio 180 providing flow within the tank. There's one corner that's still fairly dead flow-wise but that's nowhere near this acro. I haven't seen any kind of pest, but moved the frag about 6" to it's current location when I noticed my toadstool leather rubbing against it. I try (but have admittedly not been as consistent as I should) to dip new additions; nothing's been added for around two months or so.

spleify
12/29/2008, 09:29 PM
Red bugs was my first thought too. Look at it with a micro scope. I've never tried this, but I read someone say that if you shine a flashlight at the coral at night that has red bugs, they would sort of "glow" and you could spot them. Again, I have never tried this, but you should be able to see them with a micro scope.

Good luck

BigH55
12/29/2008, 09:34 PM
It doesnt look bad. Ive had ones look really pale and then they bounced back. Also had one start dying from the bottom up and cut all the tips off and put them on plugs. I now have 5 frags growing. If it gets worse id frag off the good stuff.

mg426
12/29/2008, 09:57 PM
Looks pretty OK to me too. I have one similar to yours. Rarely do I ever see any PE. Sometimes at night right on the tips.

slimy fish
12/30/2008, 02:16 AM
Give it time, it will come back if the tank condition stay optimal. It may take months to fully recover. Do you feed your corals? This will help it recover.

Tswifty
12/30/2008, 02:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14039067#post14039067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LCDRDATA
Tswifty8 - I guess I'd characterize the flow in that spot as moderate; besides my ~760 gph overflow return I've got a Koralia 3, a Koralia 1, and a Rio 180 providing flow within the tank. There's one corner that's still fairly dead flow-wise but that's nowhere near this acro. I haven't seen any kind of pest, but moved the frag about 6" to it's current location when I noticed my toadstool leather rubbing against it. I try (but have admittedly not been as consistent as I should) to dip new additions; nothing's been added for around two months or so.
I was mainly curious about the area near the acro... if you have good flow then I would begin searching for a pest. They're a lot harder to spot than you might expect... especially if it is Red Bugs. Which lack of PE would put them at the top of my list.

The look like a Red/Orange dusting on the coral, and are usually easiest to view near the base of the coral.

Here is a good link to what they look like, how to eradicate them, etc...

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

LCDRDATA
12/30/2008, 09:49 PM
I'll keep an eye out for them - naturally, our vet has our dog on Heartguard (vice Interceptor). BTW, the article talks about removing hermits & shrimp; how about snails? Thanks!

Wgluther
12/31/2008, 08:32 AM
I have a tri-color that looks like that. I never see pe but it is growing rapidly so I know its healthy.

LCDRDATA
01/11/2009, 08:30 PM
I've been so busy it's been awhile since I've had a chance to check this tread, but I just took a closer look at the acropora frag in question, and note that on a few of the polyps there is now some slight extension. It's probably only a millimeter or two, but definitely there. The tissue seems to be regenerating as well, so I think it's turned the corner. I'll try to get a photo posted soon, although it probably won't happen today. Thanks to everyone for your help!