PDA

View Full Version : How to catch a fish(without teardown)

ultimatemusky
12/29/2008, 08:52 PM
Okay, I had a model pygmy angel.....he has gone to the darkside. I need to get him out without ripping the whole thing down. Help, he is the only fish in the tank at the moment. Back of tank is a rock wall top to bottom.

Fish_wiz2
12/29/2008, 08:53 PM
trap or fishing hook

Bill Cobb
12/29/2008, 09:05 PM
Take a long plastic bag the ones you get when you buy a fish. Blow it fully open with air and place in the water. Let it fill and float it just below water level. Place some frozen brine shrimp in the back of the bag, and a little at the opening. The fish will smell the food at the opening and when he goes for the for the grand slam at the back you quickly close the opening with your fingers. It takes some patience but always works for me.

Jay1982
12/29/2008, 09:26 PM
I got a straight line bristletooth out by placing an empty (long) water bottle in the aquarium, tied it with some fishing line, and kept it there for a few days, always putting food in the bottle WITHOUT moving the bottle, by the third day my bristletooth was using it as his home, making the whole process super easy and stress free for all tank members, and myself included.

spamreefnew
12/29/2008, 09:29 PM
tiny fishing hook,line and bait hands down,,,,less stress for him and you,trust me,tearing a tank down and beating the fish with a net for a weekend realy sucks!

Johnny C
12/29/2008, 09:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14038724#post14038724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ultimatemusky
Okay, I had a model pygmy angel.....he has gone to the darkside.

...I think he means that his fish has died. GL!

coolkidtr
12/29/2008, 09:35 PM
buy the fish trap from aquarium specialty. I pulled three Niger triggers out of my 600 gallon tank within 3 hours.

tony

EllieSuz
12/29/2008, 09:38 PM
Here is an article by Anthony Calfo on catching fish:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=707656

marioensf
12/29/2008, 10:07 PM
I thought the other way, it was a model citizen now has joined a gang.
The empty water bottle works, I used a plexi tube from a Berlin skimmer and had to wait several days placing food inside then one day the little damsel (s) were inside and out they went.
Good luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14039160#post14039160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaliDreaminjC

Bill Cobb
12/29/2008, 10:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14039160#post14039160 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaliDreaminjC
Good spot, I didn't notice that.

In that case a powerhead or pump w/flex tubing to help blow it out into the open.

ultimatemusky
12/29/2008, 11:08 PM
No it's alive..... just evil, started picking at things it never paid attention to in the past. I will try the tricks above, not fish hooks though.. this fish is the size of a quarter with a mouth no bigger than this "o"

slimy fish
12/30/2008, 02:10 AM
hook and bait works great. Get a hook that is not barbed.

Tswifty
12/30/2008, 02:58 AM
You can try the 2-liter trap. :lol:

You basically cut the top off a pop bottle, then flip it around and place it back in the now open body of the bottle. Affix the top to the body with some fishing line, tape, glue or something.

Then submerge it and wait... it may take a few tries, and you'll probably catch the wrong fish a few times, but it should eventually work.

Basically the fish swims through the small inverted top of the pop bottle and into the body of the bottle, and can't find it's way back out.

Here's a WAY easier to understand link.. and it's even got pictures!:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fish_trap.php

ultimatemusky
12/30/2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions I will try the bag trick first then the bottle if need be.