PDA

View Full Version : nitrates

alex gonzales
12/29/2008, 09:42 PM
how do you use vodka to lower nitrates?

marioensf
12/29/2008, 10:03 PM
That's a very delicate subject, why don't you list you system/parameters so you may get some help here.
Some people had success with it some other a catastrophe.
I was tempted to do it at some point but after reading decided not to risk my tank.
I did however installed a sulfur based de-nitrifier but it was the last thing I had on my list; it worked well for me.
You need to find the nitrate factory first and to help lower them do water changes more often. Some times a sponge filter is the cause, excess feeding or a dead spot with little or no water movement is the one responsible.
Might sound insane but my frogspawn flourished more when I had high nitrates than it does with zero, would stretch more and the color was great; now it's growth has slowed

alex gonzales
12/29/2008, 10:09 PM
thanks for the info. actually i do have a sponge in my overflow, iguess it's there to quiet the tank.i'll take it out and see if it makes any difference.

jenglish
12/29/2008, 11:45 PM
I take two or three shots of vodka.... drink them and then do a water change ;). It lowers my nitrates every time!

singold
12/29/2008, 11:49 PM
10% water change every week, IMO

Flipper62
12/30/2008, 12:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14040159#post14040159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jenglish
I take two or three shots of vodka.... drink them and then do a water change ;). It lowers my nitrates every time!

LMAO......YEP........But I use J D......OR just a few Beers.

Now on the serious side, Weekly water changes will keep the Nitrates down. Depending on the size of your tank you may get away with every 2 weeks. The smaller the tank, the faster things can go wrong.

IMO... Smaller water changes & more often are better then waiting a longer period of time & doing a larger water change.

Waiting longer will just let the Nitrates build up & take its toll on everything in the tank

slimy fish
12/30/2008, 02:02 AM
Not to throw you off subject but forget the vodka dosing, it is more trouble then it is worth. The best way is to get a sulfur denitrator filter. Midwest aquatic sells them at reasonable prices. Once you dial it in, it is very low maintenance

Whys
12/30/2008, 03:18 AM
One shot, just before the water change. I recommend an orange-juice chaser.

Guygettnby
12/30/2008, 08:30 AM
ditch the vodka idea. people come up with the most idiotic stuff, stick to doing water changes and you will be good. if that doesnt help you out then there is something else going on in your tank that you need to fix.

Whys
12/30/2008, 02:49 PM
I believe vodka is used for its sugars, not sure. Don't think I'd call it completely idiotic. It's a "food-safe" substance that can provide a desired reaction in the tank. How is this different from say buffering your Alkalinity? I bought the Kent product thinking it was somehow special, only to later realize it's really nothing more than baking-soda or baking-powder (can't remember which).

It's just vodka, not a slice of Velveeta. It's thought to be a safer additive than something chemical, that's all.

Just my 2ยข. I have never used it myself. Haven't yet had any need to.

jenglish
12/30/2008, 02:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14043624#post14043624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Whys
I believe vodka is used for its sugars, not sure.

It's just vodka, not a slice of Velveeta.

yes, in some denitrifying filters you can add either sugar water or alcohol. Its not my cup of tea and it has the potential to backfire but it works for some.