PDA

View Full Version : hydor koralia 4's on timers

myfrostymember
12/29/2008, 09:58 PM
i have been looking for a way to get more flow and im thinking of putting two koralia 4's-- one on each side of the aquarium (75aga)--- they say not to run them on a wavemaker device but im curious if anyone knows if its harmfull on them to not run on a quick on/off wavemaker but instead on a timer--- ie. left on for 15 min then right on for 15 min and back and forth-- i also have a closed loop running so there will still be some flow during the down time of whichever side is off--

any opinions of this ?

DetectiveTofu
12/29/2008, 10:49 PM
I'm sure your putting the K4's on timers would work, but on that same note, I am pretty sure they will greatly reduce the life of your pumps. We all turn off our pumps on a regular basis to say, feed our fish or something similar, but this is only done once, maybe twice a day normally. You're pumps would be turning on and off four times an hour.
Also, if one K4 goes off, there is the possibility of a fish swimming in, and then the timer kicks the pump back on ...

slimy fish
12/30/2008, 02:14 AM
I have all mine on timers and have no issues but other I know have had them freeze-up and over heat

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 12:03 PM
any idea what kind of time table they were used for when they overheated or had failures?

What do you run yours on?

moprint
12/30/2008, 01:28 PM
i run my #3 on a seio controller. it don't shut them off just slows them down then speeds them back up. you can buy them on ebay for 140.

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 01:46 PM
no adverse effects from running them on a seio- and they are just regular koralias right not the newer controlable ones?

moprint
12/30/2008, 07:27 PM
No they have been running fine and they are the regular ones. The new controlable ones have a different plug on them.

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 07:33 PM
o ya i forgot they had diff plugs on them ok cool so seio controller and they will work--- how long have you had them running
on it?

moprint
12/30/2008, 07:49 PM
About a year. The #3 controlable kit is $400, that is the controller and 2 powerheads. A seio controller $140, two #3 Koralias $80. $220 for the same thing I don't see how they are gonna sell any of those kits.

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 08:03 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~TA3771~idCategory~FIPHAC~category~Accessories-Powerheads-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

this the one you use

Posidion
12/30/2008, 08:22 PM
I use two #4 on the seio controler without any problems.. had them since they first came out and tried timers but found clicking at their start up to be annoying after about a week so i bought the seio and been lovin it since.

Henryreef
12/30/2008, 08:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14039752#post14039752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DetectiveTofu
I'm sure your putting the K4's on timers would work, but on that same note, I am pretty sure they will greatly reduce the life of your pumps. We all turn off our pumps on a regular basis to say, feed our fish or something similar, but this is only done once, maybe twice a day normally. You're pumps would be turning on and off four times an hour.
Also, if one K4 goes off, there is the possibility of a fish swimming in, and then the timer kicks the pump back on ...

I would agree, I think that you also might get some noise when the pumps turn on and off. I would think a Maxi-jet pump would be a better fit pump for a wavemaker.

Henryreef
12/30/2008, 08:28 PM
Oh I re-read this thread and the Seio controller that ramps it up and down would be alot better than the timers. It is easier on the pumps and gets rid of start up and stop noise. If you are willing to pay more it is a better product.

moprint
12/30/2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah thats the one. Search for them on Ebay they are $143 with $10 shipping. This hobby cost enough as it is mine as well save where you can.

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 09:44 PM
will check it out-- thanks --- so those are safe on koralias even though they say all over the place to only use them with seio's in bold print lol

Posidion
12/30/2008, 09:50 PM
yeah thats just product promo garabge i know several people who do the same with them as well as 2 LFS.