PDA

View Full Version : DogFaced puffer question.

zobbiebeano
12/29/2008, 11:34 PM
My Dog Faced Puffer stays in shades of black and brown all over. He was the normal color of grey with the little mask over his eyes. But he hung out in the rocks and now swims around brownish black all the time. He has not had any health problems eats like a PIG. Has grown a few inches and he appears healthy.

aentrop
12/30/2008, 12:11 AM
I don't think it is an issue. Just keep an eye on it's appetite.

zobbiebeano
12/30/2008, 01:57 AM
Thanks. It's a 90 with 2 Maroon clowns and 2 tangs. At first the clowns gave him a hassel. But he pushed back on day and now everybody is swimming together. So hope he starts eating the cleaning crew soon. Then I know he will be fine..lol

Snausy
12/30/2008, 08:11 AM
Typical dogface puffers, the ones that aren't exotic color morphs, go through three color stages during their lives.

Olive/brown as babies, then they change to the grey phase and then as adults they change to black/yellow/white.

How big is yours? Mine is in the grey/yellow phase and I'm really hoping that he does morph to the black/yellow/white phase eventually.

"It changes appearance during different stages of life. While in the gray phase, it is gray with black markings around the mouth, eyes, and dorsal fin. The pectoral fins have a yellow appearance. The half-yellow phase is denoted by a yellow underbelly and dark gray overcoat, while the face looks similar to the gray phase. It may also have black spots over the body, which may be gray or yellow. It very rarely changes phases while living in an aquarium"
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+39+222&pcatid=222

Also, as I'm sure you know by now they change colors quite a bit depending on what mood they are in. Very moody fish! LOL

Dogface puffers can "sulk" like no other.

As long as he eats like a pig and spreads his tail wide open you can be pretty sure he's healthy. Those are two very good signs anyway. Whenever they get sick the tail scrunches up and curls around and they don't eat much.

elecbzerk
12/30/2008, 10:20 AM
Agree with Snausy. Mine does exactly what he says with the tail and color changes. Depending on his mood he can be a very nice yellow to black. Mine gets darker sometimes when he is trying to "warn" the others away from his dinner too.

Somrschool
12/30/2008, 06:34 PM
Are puffers the fish that can poison your whole tank if they get stressed? (Think I heard that somewhere?) If so, how long have you kept them without that happening? Like, is it possible but extremely rare? Or "common, but we can't resist puffers"?

psilentchild
12/30/2008, 08:44 PM
You are thinking about the cowfish/boxfish

smurph1415
12/30/2008, 09:00 PM
as long as he is eating, it should be fine. mine used to do this every once in a while.

bbnz
09/19/2010, 09:59 PM
You still have this fish?

jonathansruelas
09/20/2010, 05:14 PM
sorry to jump in . i was wondering about the compalibility of this puffer . i wanted to put it with 2 percula clown. is there any aggression between any of the tankmates u have with the dog face?