PDA

View Full Version : Mounting direction and lighting

parrotfish2005
12/29/2008, 11:53 PM
I want to have a garden that grows on the side of a bunch of rocks as well as the sand bed. I have a 150 w/2-400 MH & 2 T5s so I have alot of light.

If I mount the frags on the vertical surfaces of the rocks will they be happy and grow?

I see them growing in a ball formation all the time and was just concerned about the polyps facing up at the light to start. Do they just bend upwards and are OK.

Mark

parrotfish2005
12/30/2008, 08:04 PM
Bump

geoxman
12/30/2008, 08:21 PM
go through a page or so and you will have an idea on your mat. BB would be easier IMHO than sand
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=586173
good luck

parrotfish2005
12/30/2008, 08:45 PM
My question is about mounting my small colonies and frags on the horizontal sides of the rocks on the perimeter of the tank?

They will be 90 degrees to the top of the tank & lights. I would think they would just grow slower?

FiShTaCo
12/31/2008, 01:48 AM
IMO a sand bed would help distribute the light back upward, considering it is white :) The polyps will shift towards the light. I believe you have plenty of lighting to do this and see substantial growth. Bust out that super glue gel! :lol:

MUCHO REEF
12/31/2008, 06:44 AM
Yes, you will be ok. In the wild and in captive breeding/keeping they are seen growing straight down a glass tank panel, slope on a reef, drop offs etc. Light reflects off the glass and the substrate which allows them to receive what they need since they are indeed photosynthetic corals. Remember though, light is but one factor instrumental in achieve growth. My concern as it relates to growth is the rest of your tank's conditions and parameters. Would you like to share those? Good luck.

Mucho Reef

parrotfish2005
12/31/2008, 02:15 PM
Mucho
Tank appears very healthy will post stats after I break out the chemistry set this weekend to validate. Some of my live rock have tall vertical surfaces and want to cover with zoas and mushrooms leaving the flat areas for lps & sps that need the light and flow.

Zoas and palys are thriving on the horizontal temporary homes until I had more confidence that I could glue the plugs and colonies to the sides of the rocks and keep them happy.