PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates in newish tank that won't go away

PermaNoob
12/30/2008, 10:25 AM
Tank = bc14g with 12lb sand and 15lb live rock. Carbon filter still in but bioballs replaced with live rock rubble. All sand, water and rock from an established tank.

Was looking for a small mini cycle since everything came from a 700g established system. So immediately added 3 super small zoas (1/2 dollar size) and clean up crew of about 10 snails, a brittle star, peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp.

Paramters are like this (all salifert and sg = refractometer but not calibrated).

week ago:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 1.0
PH = 8.2
Nitrates = 0
Sg = 1.027

3 days ago:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
PH = 8.2
Nitrates = 100
Sg =

2 days ago:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
PH = 8.2
Nitrates = 100
Sg = 1.026

~ Approx. 30% water change using commercial premixed water.

Yesterday:
Peppermint shrimp dies - acts very erratic then keels over then gets eaten by brittle. At night I take out the carcass (see invert thread for more info - not sure of cause of death).
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
PH = 8.2
Nitrates = 100
Sg = 1.028

Today:
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = .1
PH = 8.2
Nitrates = just under 100, maybe 95 or 90
Sg = 1.028

Tank has good flow with mj900.

Yes, I realize I may have gone too quick with the CUC and zoas, but now what?

I just can't seem to lower the nitrates. Any ideas, PLEASE?

jenglish
12/30/2008, 10:40 AM
How old is the test kit and what brand? 100 is so high it makes me question its accuracy. if you do a 30% change and the new water had no nitrates in it then you should see nitrates reading 70 or 80. How much are you feeding? its just hard to see that many nitrates coming up that fast.

PermaNoob
12/30/2008, 11:16 AM
Kit is salifert and the containers say batch 0806d. Thanks.

jenglish
12/30/2008, 11:49 AM
oh yeah, I looked back and it said salifert =o. Didn't see that. Is there a sponge or anything other than the rubble that could be adding to nitrates? have you tested the source water? Even LFS water can be bad from human error or skimping on filter replacement. How long has the carbon been in?

PermaNoob
12/30/2008, 11:54 AM
NP. Thanks. Carbon has been in for just about a week now. Only sponge is a small sponge by the pump. It's only been in a week also, but I'll take that out and clean it under running tap water. I'm going to head to the LFS with a water sample just to make sure my test results are legit. Then I'll have him test his water (if he allows it) since his is the source water I've been using.

Thanks for the help.

jenglish
12/30/2008, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure about that setup is there anywhere that water slows down and there is a pile of detritus? There will be some that will disagree with this I'm sure but I would try removing the reef rubble too. IMO it does the same thing as bioballs by providing lots of surface area but no anearobic area. If there is enough LR in the DT then the rubble really isn't adding anything unless you are trying to produce pods. I wouldn't think that a little reef rubble could produce nitrates that high. Is it possible that there was a large quantity of crud in the sand and rock from the established tank? maybe a good turkey baster blasting into the rock would help dislodge detritus. It may surprise you what shoots out every direction when you add pressure to LR. Good luck

PermaNoob
12/30/2008, 07:34 PM
Just got back from the LFS where I'd taken a water sample too. My water tested out to near 0 nitrates. So I guess my Salifert test kit is no good. The LFS owner uses API and I was going to buy a Nitrate one from him but he was out of stock.

jenglish
12/30/2008, 07:38 PM
salifert kits are normally very good. However people I have known that have gotten a bad batch have not recieved satisfactory customer service. I use API and while it is not as accurate as salifert and has a shorter shelf life it fits my needs. I'm glad it was the kit and you aren't still chasing gremlins :)