PDA

View Full Version : micro bubbles

lenny8671
12/30/2008, 11:35 AM
Does anybody know how to stop micro bubbles forming? I seem to be getting lots of micro bubbles coming from the bubble trap on my skimmer, ive tried restricting the flow to the skimmer but no better. Yesterday i added a maroon clown fish and have just noticed that the bubbles are sticking to his dorsal fins, and he only swims on the surface? i think this might be stopping him from swimming down into the tank, or am i being too much of a noob, sorry if i am:) :D

lenny8671
12/30/2008, 01:11 PM
here is a link to the video i just took

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lJn1W3kXvMQ

Jaded_Falcon
12/31/2008, 06:27 AM
Is it a new skimmer? If so it may just still be going through a break-in period. If not, it may need adjustments or it's a seaclone. (wish I knew about RC before I threw that money away!) Also, many water conditioners such as NovAqua + can cause a lot of micro bubbles and ineffective skimming. (Another newbie mistake I made)

Jason Donohoe
12/31/2008, 08:26 AM
I couldn't tell from the video where your skimmer is. Does it hang on the back or do you have an overflow with a sump?

patsfan1130
12/31/2008, 09:29 AM
The bubbles are not keeping the fish from leaving the surface

Juruense
12/31/2008, 09:52 AM
Fish will stay at the top due to lack of dissolved oxygen but they will also do so simply because they feel like it.

I watched the video and due to the way the clownfish is swimming and the massive slick on top of the water I am going to say the you have serious water quality issues that need to be addressed ASAP.

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 10:53 AM
Is that a coralife supper skimmer?

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 10:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14049075#post14049075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Juruense
Fish will stay at the top due to lack of dissolved oxygen but they will also do so simply because they feel like it.

I watched the video and due to the way the clownfish is swimming and the massive slick on top of the water I am going to say the you have serious water quality issues that need to be addressed ASAP.

I disagree with this, as I have a skimmer and a canister that intermitinly shoot mass amounts of micro bubbles. After a large shot of them that is what the surface of my water looks like until they disperse.

Jason Donohoe
12/31/2008, 02:02 PM
I had surface scum like that until I devised a skimmer to use with my cannister filter. Now that I have a sump the problem is resolved.

Lenny, are you using a cannister filter with a draw tube 1/2 way down the tank or do you have an overflow? A skimmer for an intake tube is easy to make. I'd be happy to help if you need it.

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 04:57 PM
I'd be interested to know how to make a skimmer/intake

CoRPS
12/31/2008, 05:01 PM
You can easily make a surface skimmer for your canister filter using some acrylic.

Brent RH
12/31/2008, 05:41 PM
Or for about $40 CPR and some other brands make them. If they can fit your pump your set. I would say is more than just bubbles on the surface. Canister filters? I don't know anyone having luck with such an item.

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 05:50 PM
wish i never bought mine.....had it replaced because i couldn't make it stop blowing bubbles....and the new one does the same thing

Jason Donohoe
12/31/2008, 11:21 PM
Chris&Mel,

I made the skimmer out of a 2" piece of PVC pipe. The PVC was capped at one end and had 1/4" teeth and 1/4" spaces all the away around the top extending aprox 1" down. The capped bottom sat on the sand and the teeth wedged under the rim of the tank. The draw tube for the cannister filter came over the edge of the tank and down into the PVC. The water level inside the tube was lower than the tank so water would flow from the surface, sucking all the surface skum into the cannister. With evaporation the water level in the tube would drop. If it got low enough it would suck air giving you an impressive bubble display in the tank from the spray bar. If I were to do it again I would propably use a wider PVC tube to reduce the effects of evaporation on water level. You will need to play with the level in the tank to get it so that it is sucking from the surface only. Too much water and it does not suck the scum down into the tube.

If you want to get serious though I would scrap the cannister filter, install an overflow and put a sump under your tank. I did that about 4 months ago and wish I had done it a lot sooner. I used an SOS overflow and have been happy with it. There is also the CPR model mentioned by Brent RH. You may also want to check out this website ( http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html ) if you are considerring an overflow.

lenny8671
01/01/2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks eveyone, the skimmer is a new one and on the back there is a canister flter also so i will take jasons advice about the pipe, cannot realy have a sump as space is a bit limited, so the pipe idea would suit.