PDA

View Full Version : Flim on Live Rock

Saltwaterstart
12/30/2008, 11:38 AM
Hello again everyone at RC, and happy holidays!

I have been having a problem with my aquarium over the past couple of months, and it has not gone away yet. Unfortunately in this time, it has choked out most of my corals (all of my hard corals), for only the Xenia and the mushrooms remain.

It appears to be a small, brown, hairlike growth that has grown over all of the aquarium's live rock and all of my hard coral skeletons. Fortunately, it cannot attach itself to soft corals (only Zoos).

I can't identify it even after months of asking around. I know its not diatoms, and it could be fungus growing from detritus. The fish are completely fine, and have been fine over the past couple of months. I am thinking about adding a bit more flow to the aquarium because there seems to be an area where cyanobacteria keeps growing.

Here are the water parameters:

NO3: Untraceable
NO2: 0- 0.1ppm
NH4: 0
PO4: Unknown
pH: 8.3
Salt level: 1.024-1.026
Temp: 69-75 range throughout the day (heater is on "to get" list)
lights have been changed recently.

How would I get rid of this problem?

Lyfey
12/30/2008, 01:34 PM
wow that temperature is way low in my book.. I try to never get under 76 degrees.. ever. Maybe a certain fungus is growing in the colder temperment. I have not seen many tanks kept below 75 degrees.. infact.. none.. so that may be the problem in getting an ID for your problem. I would try to gradually increase your temperature 1 degree a day until a stable 77 is reached, that may help your problem.

And the heater issue, I stick with rena heaters, I bought a hydor 400w heater and it over heated my tank, horribly.. causing fish loss.

just my .o2c :)
chris

Saltwaterstart
12/30/2008, 02:45 PM
Heater is on its way. During the summer the tank seemed to be doing fine, but now during the winter I can see some change.

Will heat the tank to about 77 if I can find a good spot to put the heater.

I'm also doing a 45% water change to try to speed things up.

Lyfey
12/30/2008, 02:53 PM
make sure that when you are doing your water change, make sure the water that you are adding to the tank is the same temp that you want your tank to be at all times.. If it is a degree or two off,.. add a few gallons at a time.. my o2c, 10$ at a petstore will get you a decent digital thermometer, that updates every 3 seconds or so, saved me alot of aggrevation.. just wish i got it a few months ago :)