PDA

View Full Version : Ack Help! - Milky White Water

FBNitro
12/30/2008, 02:45 PM
My tank just turned all milky and everything looks bad. What should I do?! Temperature is good (2 thermometers)... I have no salt made up at the moment (and no salt at all, I'll have to buy some but it won't be my usual brand). Ack.

I'll post some pictures shortly...

Brandon M
12/30/2008, 02:52 PM
Have you added or changed anything recently?

FBNitro
12/30/2008, 02:53 PM
No, but this was happening over the last few days: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1518963

See the last image. Maybe it went sexual whatever it is.

I've got 3 gallons of water heating up right now, I'll head off to the store and get some salt. What a time to run out =(

FBNitro
12/30/2008, 03:41 PM
Okay got some salt, it's IO, all they had. It'll have to do. No Reef Crystals or Red Sea Coral Pro etc (this is why I was out of salt). So I'll do a 30% change (3 gallons).

Should I do another change this evening?

FBNitro
12/30/2008, 04:33 PM
I put on a small filter with some PolyFiber stuff in it, any other suggestions? Carbon maybe?

FBNitro
12/30/2008, 09:22 PM
So what do you guys think, another 20% water change tonight? Wait until tomorrow?

FBNitro
12/30/2008, 09:31 PM
First Casualty... the cleaner shrimp didn't make it. :( First thing I've ever lost and the tank has been up a year.

otrlynn
12/30/2008, 09:55 PM
I wish that you had received some more experienced replies. It does seem like whatever you had growing in the tank released spores. My instinct would be to use carbon, even if all you have to put it in is an old HOB filter. I'd probably do another water change after the water has mixed for a couple of hours, or at least let it mix overnite and do a water change before you go to work in the morning. Just going on general principles here, I have not had experience with this problem...

Posidion
12/30/2008, 10:01 PM
had similar carbon and water changes man.. cross your fingers and watch close sorry no exp with this particular.

FBNitro
12/30/2008, 10:21 PM
Well my Brown Goby and Lawnmower Blenny seem okay swimming up at the glass when I'm there (now, earlier they wouldn't move). The Green Clown Goby isn't fairing so well. He's sitting on his favorite perch, but won't move for food.

spw4949
12/30/2008, 10:50 PM
Carbon wouldn't hurt.....start there see if it helps.

FBNitro
12/31/2008, 05:29 PM
Water looks clear this morning. I put in a lot of carbon, I'll pull it out tomorrow. I did a 20% water change around lunch time today.

My Candy Cane lost a lot of flesh, but I think it'll recover. One of my Zoas is closed up still, and my Kenya Tree hasn't inflated yet. I think in the end, the only loss will be the shrimp.

Now I have to figure out how to remove this algae... any suggestions appreciated. I don't think lights off for X days will work (since it spawns like that, it would probably just get it to fire again) and manual removal went very slow.

I'm running phosphate removal stuff in a filter already (and have been for about 6 months). I use RO/DI water that's a 0 on the TDS meter. I don't know what else I can do.