PDA

View Full Version : Algaefix Marine???

carnophage
12/30/2008, 03:51 PM
I was at my LFS and was explaining to the owner how i was starting to see green hair algae (or something green, and algae looking) in my 120g reef tank. He showed me this product, made by API (aquarium Pharmaceuticals) called Algaefix Marine, Aquaium Algaecide... It says on the bottle to dose 1ml per 10g of water, and that it will not harm corals, inverts or fish... It says it controls Cladophora (green algae), Oscillatoria/ Spirulina major (Red slime), and Cyclotella (Brown algae).

Also found it here.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4098

Is this too good to be true, has anyone delt with this product before? I want to see, before i go dumping it into my tank. If not, i will start a post about how it works. Thanks!

DustinLH00
12/30/2008, 03:54 PM
I have tried this product back when my hair algae outbreak got out of control. It did not do a thing for me. I was able to see some die off of hair algae after dispensing nearly a full bottle of the stuff in my tank and heavily airating the water. However by that point, I lost all of my snails and crabs. The bottle I had said not to be used in tanks with inverts. I was so desperate that I tried anyways and paid the price. Now, a year later I am still battling the hair algae.

In short, I do not recommend this product at all.

carnophage
12/30/2008, 09:37 PM
Bump!