PDA

View Full Version : Sand

killarsox
12/30/2008, 06:21 PM
I'm moving a set-up about an hour and a half away. From what I've learned toxins are released when the tank is emptied and sand is stirred up. Any suggestions as far as the sand goes?

192clark
12/30/2008, 06:24 PM
There will probably be another cycle. Check Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Get 0 on all before reintroducing livestock.

woodiecrafts
12/30/2008, 06:34 PM
Depending on the size of the tank, you could leave the sand in the bottom of it with all the water drained out and everything else removed as well and move it that way. Then just cover the sand with a plastic bag and refill it back up. That would help in keeping it from getting to stirred up. Now if it is a larger tank with alot of sand, then taht is a different story.

killarsox
12/30/2008, 06:39 PM
Well it's 125 gallon tank so I dont know if we could lift it with all the sand still in there. I was going to take out most of the sand, was wondering how to store it in transport, and whether to wash it and put it back in tank, or just put it back in tank and let cycle.

Help greatly appreciated.

abraha
12/30/2008, 07:11 PM
I would probably get new sand and add 2 or 3 cups of the old sand to seed it. Wait for it to cycle (a few days), test the water and then add the livestock