PDA

View Full Version : QT lighting

reefworm
12/30/2008, 07:31 PM
Hey Waterkeeper!
Got no responses over in the general forum, so I thought I'd try here - it's a newbie kinda question anyway. Some of us just refuse to grow up.

QT lighting

the article in waterkeeper's forum on QT procedures mentions minimal lighting to keep animals alive, not necessarily growing, particularly with regard to corals. I would assume for fish the standard hood/light that come with a 10 gal. would be adequate. for LPS/SPS later down the line should I be looking at PC lighting or would the one I mentioned be enough for QT purposes, and then acclimate to DT light over time [1x250w MH + T5 actinic]. Don't want to spend more than needed, but want to get it right. QT is a 10 gal. by the way

myfrostymember
12/30/2008, 10:15 PM
http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/24_inch__2x24W_SLR_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

maybe something like this its a little more $ then a pc fixture -- you would have to make a small canopy (retrofit) but most corals would live great under this- you could also just get two bulbs that are for growth and not for looks (ie. two daylight bulbs) ---- this would also last you forever (unless you buy alot of fish/corals) with t5 bulbs lasting so much longer then pc's- other benefit is almost anything could live under this light so long your qt tank isnt really deep

WaterKeeper
12/30/2008, 11:39 PM
The standard hood lighting is fine for fish and it will suit most corals. Don't forget, those corals have been in transport with low light levels for heaven only knows. Popping them into an environment with intense lighting does more harm than good. After the QT place them in a low light area of the tank and slowly move them to brighter areas.

reefworm
12/31/2008, 08:16 AM
excellent! thanks Tom