PDA

View Full Version : help dont know to break down?

bustedbikes
12/30/2008, 08:01 PM
I have been going threw this thick hair algae problem for six months and on top of that flat worms now too. my corals n fish are growing and fine all my tests are good for long time now do have skimmer sump flow you name it even tried all type of fish like lawnmower b and snails every thing every one said. what the f is the secret, patience, six months of it. keep in mind in the beginning I was not useing ro/di so not so clean, but now do, for a couple months am I pooped and need to start over or can I take he rocks out for a while need secret help please. THANKS

46FiatYamaha
12/30/2008, 08:30 PM
what are the nitrates and phosphates at now? They may have gotten so high before RO/DI that they are still giving you problems, since they are one of several usual suspects of high algae growth

SaltyDr
12/30/2008, 09:24 PM
If you are at your wit's end, "cook" your rock and replace your sand with new sand. That way you will have a nutrient free tank from the start, and with proper husbandry and maintenence, a beautiful algae free tank. It's going to be a pain for a couple of months.

bustedbikes
12/30/2008, 09:34 PM
how to cook rock and can I clean sand than new one my nitrate nirite is perfect for 4 months now 0 phos 0 amm

k9gunner
12/30/2008, 09:36 PM
I was fighting air algae for 5 months, then I got a sea hare, and he cleaned it up in a 90 gal in 3 weeks. I traded him back in to the LFS and all is good!

bustedbikes
12/30/2008, 09:37 PM
if i had a bad start and seeded a problem am I over start new

bustedbikes
12/30/2008, 09:40 PM
had two a sea hairs and they were going all over the rocks for a while but nothing I hear you should not have one because they are in colder waters in the sea

BigManBud
12/30/2008, 09:49 PM
the hair algae is consuming the nitrates and or phosphates. Your test kits are not detecting any because of this reason. But thats what it lives off of. I didnt take care of my tank like I should have for a few months and it took mine over. I took my rock out and scrubbed with a stiff brush, each piece, rinsed them off with saltwater, put them back in the tank and did several massive water changes while scrubbing rocks every other week until finally, it stopped growing. It was a lot of work but I saved everything and didnt have to start over. It takes time, probably a couple of months or so to get rid of it.

bustedbikes
12/30/2008, 09:55 PM
thanks, can I than take out the rocks and treat put back, water changes and good look