PDA

View Full Version : Jawfish

reefdat
12/30/2008, 08:39 PM
I want to have some jaw fish. What substrate do they require? How deep? Aragonite? Mixture of that and what? Thanks

jenglish
12/30/2008, 08:45 PM
fine or oolitic arag is what I generally see them in. I would think 5 inches in an even layer would be about the minimum. Depth needs to be just about body length.

Tylt33
12/30/2008, 08:49 PM
6" is generally recommended. You more importantly need rubble for them to build their entrance and door with.

If you don't have a screen or glass over your tank, don't bother, they'll be dead on the floor before you know it. Egg crate does not work either, trust me, I thought it would.

Which jaws are you getting? Go for pearly jaws. They feed the dusky jaws at my LFS feeder fish, and there's threads on here about blue spotted jaws eating gobies (along with their ~80% death rate within the first year).

Posidion
12/30/2008, 08:50 PM
A fine sand and some crushed coral will suffice. Really any mix of small, med, and large grainsize is best. This mix allows for easy and stable burrow construction by the fish. I keep a colony of 5 in my tank most of the bottom is only 1'' deep for astetics. the corner i intended for the jaw fish, and where they choose to live ranges from 2.5 to3.5" deep they seem happy.

reefdat
12/30/2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks, so far I have used Carib Sea Flor. It seems like it just caves in. I never see tye fish again. Nothing, where did they go? Did I just get stupid fish? Should i mix shells with the aragonite?

Posidion
12/30/2008, 09:39 PM
Are you shure the didnt jump? If the burrow is un sucessful they will often dig under a large rock and use that as a burrow depending on where they dug you may not be able to see them. as for adding shells and such it shure wont hurt.

noboddi
12/30/2008, 10:20 PM
Yes, they love shells. When you say some jawfish, be careful. They can be territorial, especially against conspecifics. Two of the same species should be fine. Then you can watch them steal each others shells.

And you should keep an eye on the other fish in the tank. They are easily bullied or out competed for food.,

Jaded_Falcon
12/31/2008, 06:11 AM
I have a yellow headed jawfish and love it! Very entertaing to watch. Always "improving" his burrow. Everything I read b4 I got it said 3-4 inch mixed sand bed. (sand and crushed coral/rubble) The larger peices keep the burrow more stable. They definitely jump until they're settled in. Mine tried a lot until he built his first home. Hasn't tried since but has "moved" several times.

reefdat
12/31/2008, 07:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14046567#post14046567 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Posidion
Are you shure the didnt jump? If the burrow is un sucessful they will often dig under a large rock and use that as a burrow depending on where they dug you may not be able to see them. as for adding shells and such it shure wont hurt.

No, did not jump. Here somewhere as i see foxholes but no fish. It is a pearly jaw. Will have to add shell, thanks.

tygger
12/31/2008, 09:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14046120#post14046120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tylt33
6" is generally recommended. You more importantly need rubble for them to build their entrance and door with.

If you don't have a screen or glass over your tank, don't bother, they'll be dead on the floor before you know it. Egg crate does not work either, trust me, I thought it would.

Which jaws are you getting? Go for pearly jaws. They feed the dusky jaws at my LFS feeder fish, and there's threads on here about blue spotted jaws eating gobies (along with their ~80% death rate within the first year).

Isn't it crazy how some of these fish could jump through the small openings in the egg crate?

Tylt33
12/31/2008, 11:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14049017#post14049017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tygger
Isn't it crazy how some of these fish could jump through the small openings in the egg crate?

I didn't believe it until it happened to me. It's amazing.

Stanley-Reefer
12/31/2008, 12:49 PM
Second that. Blue spotted jaw fish that committed suicide through eggcrate.

I loved that fish, he would eat food from the end of a turkey baster.

#2 special grade sand is good for them to build-----get some crushed shells, so you can watch it build.

Mine would spit sand at the tangs---till he ended up fish jerky.