PDA

View Full Version : Potter Angel and Coral Beauty

Jay1982
12/31/2008, 02:30 AM
I just moved my fish from a 90 gallon to a 135 gallon. It was already lightly stacked, but I wanted more room for corals. With that, I'd love to add one more dwarf angel, will there be enough space for both a coral beauty (who is already there) and a potter angel?

Michael
12/31/2008, 03:13 AM
this is an experts writtings on the potter

One of the more docile of Angelfish species, it does have a tendency to be aggressive towards other fish that have been introduced into the aquarium once it has become established.Although touted by aquarists to be a fairly good reef safe fish, it may nip at large polyped stony corals, zoanthids, tridacnid clam mantles, and even some soft coral polyps. Therefore this fish, as true with most all Angelfishes, cannot be completely trusted if these invertebrates are present. It is best kept singly or in mated pairs, and is suitable for keeping with other non-aggressive fishes.

HTH

mfinn
12/31/2008, 09:58 AM
It is hit or miss when trying to keep more that one centropyge in a tank together.
I have kept a flame, coral beauty and pygmy together for 6-7 years. I had a coral beauty and a potters together for a short time.
I think the really secrete to to this is having a large enough tank
( 6'), with enough live rock to create areas they can claim as their own.
As far as the nipping, it's my opinion that (in my soft coral tank) that it's OK. A occasional nip isn't bad, as long as they don't keep going back to the same place.
They only seem to nip at the leathers in my tank and not any zoanthids.
It looks as if they are only nipping at the slime coat and not the coral flesh.
Ive never had one that absolutely wouldn't get along with other fish in the tank, but I do see those threads occasionally.

So I'd say go ahead and try.

reefworm
12/31/2008, 02:03 PM
nipping is an issue if they DO go back to the same place. and slime or no, the coral keeps closed up and therefore doesn't eat. that's what happened to my open brain when the CB decided to nip it after 8 months in the tank. the fish was relentless and the coral didn't make it. it's a crap shoot at best.

WaterKeeper
12/31/2008, 02:14 PM
I think the general consensus is that "It depends on the fish". Many people keep dwarfs with coral without a problem while other have one that nips on it. Angels don't really eat coral but eat sponges extensively. Often the nipping is actually looking for sponge growing near the polyps.

The same caution applies on keeping more than one dwarf. As nmfinn said, they can get along well in some cases but fight in others. Only until you try it will you know the outcome.

Jay1982
12/31/2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys. There is this Potters that has been in my LFS for 3 months, housed in their coral tank along with a coral beauty. SO I'm thinking he'll be ok. I'll do a bit more research into this, but thanks a million for the insight