PDA

View Full Version : I think someone should have warned me about Part 2

shadowbearwv
12/31/2008, 06:28 AM
I just got part 2 of the package last nignt. All I have got to say is I need a bigger tank.

The amount of critter and rock is just incredible. I'm going to be getting picks after I aquascape tonight and will post.

Wow this is just insane.

SB

shadowbearwv
12/31/2008, 04:30 PM
After telling a fellow co-worker about the awesomeness of the package, he now is:

1. Looking to start a 30g using the package.

2. Trade me his 75g Reef Ready Tank and MH lighting for my 12g Aquapod.

He used to aquaculture coral but decided that he just wanted 120g Planted Fresh water tank when he moved. I think I'm changing his mind lol.

SB

troyman
01/01/2009, 05:36 AM
wait till u chase down mantis shrimp and gorilla crabs that florida rock is known for

shadowbearwv
01/01/2009, 05:47 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14054592#post14054592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by troyman
wait till u chase down mantis shrimp and gorilla crabs that florida rock is known for

Hehe, that's part of the fun. I've caugth 1 so far. You have to take the good with the bad as they say.

SB

divemonster
01/01/2009, 10:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14054592#post14054592 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by troyman

oh it's you again. . .the one who hasn't owned the rock but thinks he knows all about it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14054604#post14054604 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shadowbearwv
Hehe, that's part of the fun. I've caugth 1 so far. You have to take the good with the bad as they say.

SB

Hahahaha! Good answer! Tony, the mantis in my tank hatched babies so the rest of the crew had quite the feast on christmas!

are you posting pics here or on your windows site?

reefing102
01/01/2009, 10:04 AM
Now you know we want pics right? Good job on getting the package

shadowbearwv
01/01/2009, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14055266#post14055266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by divemonster

are you posting pics here or on your windows site?

I'll be throwing them up on my Live Spaces Site. I have a hard time editing the photos to fit on the boards. I'm Lazy and let the Windows Live take care of it for me.

I'll post a link to my site as well as just the photo album on here.

Got to wait til the Sun goes down and also the start of my 5 hour lights on window.

Tony

Opps Also forgot, got my RO/DI installed to day, yay no more using crappy Walmart Distilled Water.

shadowbearwv
01/01/2009, 05:45 PM
Well here they are the pics of my tank with part 2 about 2 days old.

Things are going well Ammonia still pretty low but expecting a larger die off since I've stacked the rocks. The first part of the shipment was never stacked.

Hope you all enjoy!

Photo Album (http://cid-c9a2b89ee726893c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/1-1-2009%2020g)

My Live Spaces Site (http://tonyslittlespot.spaces.live.com/)

Tony

troyman
01/02/2009, 04:38 AM
no i just buy quailty rock not common rock

shadowbearwv
01/02/2009, 05:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14061047#post14061047 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by troyman
no i just buy quailty rock not common rock

Hey Troy I do want to say thank you for your constructive criticism, however most of the people in this part of the forum are fans of the "Florida Common Rock" and this can only lead to a flame war, which is mostly just opinions that neither side can change.

I wanted to post some of the reasons I choose TBS and the Package.

1. The rock is aquacultured in a natural environment. Not taken from an actual living reefs and was not raised in a tank.

2. Supporting a local grower/business. Most of the LR is from parts of the world with little or no regulation on protecting their reefs. It is harvested by mostly locals getting paid in one month what you get paid in a day. (mostly research done online, I cant confirm or deny this)

3. The package was a complete setup. Being new and having the support of the people at TBS and the forums has helped me get a beautiful tank up and running. And isnt that the whole goal of this hobby?

So again it's all based on perspective and opinion. You have yours we have ours. We're happy with our tanks, and I hope you are happy with yours.

So in conclusion, I'm just trying to avoid this thread from becoming a flame war.

Thanks for your help.

SB(Tony)

noahm
01/02/2009, 10:00 AM
I have to put my 2 cents in here. I have no idea why troyman feels the need to come here. He bought some lalo rock and complained about it for a month to the vendor (this must be the "quality rock") then finally offerd an apology for his complaint.

He has not bought TBS rock, and has claimed that it was "concrete" thrown into the ocean for a couple months etc etc. It is like someone going to Best Buy every week to tell people that you have never shopped there, but it is a terrible place that sells crap. Just weird. It is basically just a complex form of spam done to get attention.

Please troyman, just don't come here unless you wish to ask for input or experiences.

Noah

BillyBee
01/02/2009, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't be that polite to him/her. He is just a pest. Maybe we should change his handle to Hitchhiker?

Perhaps a Moderator can step in?

g8gxp
01/02/2009, 09:44 PM
It's funny, for a guy who hates cultured rock, you sure do spend a whole lot of time in a forum dedicated to it. Does anyone who ACTUALLY HAS the package regret it? To date, i haven't seen anybody who doesn't love it.

My mantis is one of the most interesting things in the tank, he's never bothered anything, not even the goby 1/2 his size sitting right next to him.

you're all washed up troyman, go troll somewhere else.

noahm
01/02/2009, 11:50 PM
Allow me to highjack this thread back. Nice pics shadowbear. keep em comin if you find anything cool.

Noah

Untamed12
01/05/2009, 01:28 AM
Maybe he is a competitor...

As for the mantis...don't believe what people tell you about them. They are quite harmless and very entertaining.

OK..they might eat a few hermits....but you can go buy new hermits....mantis shrimp are far more enjoyable and interesting.

shadowbearwv
01/05/2009, 04:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14082151#post14082151 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Untamed12
Maybe he is a competitor...

As for the mantis...don't believe what people tell you about them. They are quite harmless and very entertaining.

OK..they might eat a few hermits....but you can go buy new hermits....mantis shrimp are far more enjoyable and interesting.

Oh but they are driving me insane with all the pounding hehe. I will have to say the first one I caught that ended up in the 12g was quite a character.

I'm having a ton of fun with this tank. I just need more room hehe.

SB

g8gxp
01/05/2009, 12:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14082350#post14082350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shadowbearwv
Oh but they are driving me insane with all the pounding hehe. I will have to say the first one I caught that ended up in the 12g was quite a character.

I'm having a ton of fun with this tank. I just need more room hehe.

SB

LOL, yeah it's almost impossible to take a nap on the couch, but still a good conversation topic

Untamed12
01/05/2009, 04:39 PM
You may be surprised to find that your tank still makes loud clicks even after you are certain there are no mantis. My rock was loaded with small pistol shrimp...no more than 1/4" long. I had one in a small measuring cup when it "snapped". It was a surprisingly load noise for such a tiny little pistol shrimp.

So you may hear snaps forever and never see the culprit.

shadowbearwv
01/06/2009, 03:24 AM
The first part of the package had a pistol in it. He didn't last long the manits got him. He was pretty tiny.

SB

jimmyPx
01/06/2009, 09:30 AM
Hi,

I thought that I would throw my 2 cents in a year after receiving the package for my 60 gallon reef tank.

Well I have had my Package for over a year and I love it. The life is incredible even now.

I have had all of the other kinds of rock from the other vendors and it is fine. However, you just can't compare it to rock that was in the Ocean DAYS before you receive it and it has never been out of water.

I am planning a larger tank later this year and I absolutely will get the package.