PDA

View Full Version : 24 Gal nano strange happenings

nixon125
12/31/2008, 10:41 AM
I have a strange question for everyone regarding tank properties and hitchhikers. I am new to the hobby and have a 24 gal aquapod with about 30 pounds of live rock. I have 2 blue/green chromis, a zebra barred dartfish, watchman golby, and bi-color blenny with a purple firefish.

After I got some snails that burrow and do an excellent job cleaning, i noticed that I had a dead crab in the edge of the tank. I've never added any crabs to my tank. he was about the size of a half dollar. Then, about 3 weeks later, I noticed another dead crab, about the size of a quarter.

should I be concerned?
:(

pizazmitaz
12/31/2008, 10:48 AM
sounds like hitchhikers
it may be me, or are there too many fish in there?

ReefWreak
12/31/2008, 10:54 AM
That many fish should be fine, since they're all really small (though the dartfish would really appreciate more swimming room :-/ ). You just need to keep on checking your nitrates and doing weekly or so waterchanges. I know when I had my 24g cube, I only had 2-4 small fish, and I would do weekly waterchanges religiously, even though I was in a college dorm room. I had great success and kept a TON of corals.

As for the crabs, as long as they're dieing, you're okay. If you see some alive, thats when you need to start worrying about them. Do some searching to see what type of crabs they are (mythax, gorilla crab, etc).

Henryreef
12/31/2008, 10:56 AM
They probably came on the live rock as hitchhikers. When They were out competed by the snails for food they died.

Henryreef
12/31/2008, 10:57 AM
double post

nixon125
12/31/2008, 02:19 PM
ReefWreak - what kind of lighting did you have in yours?