PDA

View Full Version : Eurobrace or eurobrace with braces across and along a cube?

Henry100
12/31/2008, 01:15 PM
I'm building an acrylic aquarium cube,28''x28''x20'',60 gallon,and I want to know which choice is the best for the top piece of acrylic.The material I use is 3/8''(1cm) thick cast acrylic.

kgross
12/31/2008, 07:54 PM
The best with an acrylic aquarium, is to cover the top with one piece of acrylic and then route out the opening. I would say that a 3 inch strip should be Ok, at only 20 inchs tall, but a 4 inch strip would be much better. On the corners use a 3 inch radius if possible. It will be a lot stronger than 4 individual pieces.

Kim

Henry100
01/01/2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for your suggestions,Kim!I will go with a 7cm(almost 3 inches) strip around the top,exactly as you described it.

therealfatman
01/01/2009, 07:20 AM
IT would all kind of depend on what you plan on using for lighting as far as your cross bracing. kgross suggestions are good but if you are using halide lighting in the center of the tank you might want to narrower cross braces say 8 or 9 inches in from each end. I would keep the front and side strips 1.5 inches wide and the two cross braces each 1.5 inches wide.

The 3/8 inch cell cast would be great for the top but more expensive than extruded. With long tubes where you locate your cross braces should depend on what area of the tank you will likely try to high light with your highest light requiring coral. You will not want the cross brace(s) to be above that spot.

It is nice to design your tank in accordance with your plans rather than to limit your future plans to the particulars of your tanks construction. Your much less apt to immediately want to start building your self another tank so quickly if you plan a head.