PDA

View Full Version : Is a green tank bad??

blakeorme
12/31/2008, 02:31 PM
So my reef is fairly new,3 months, and I still get a good amount of the bright green algae built up on the glass everyday. I will be out of town for 4 days and the algae will get free reign. By the time I return I assume it will be thick enough so that you can almost not see into the tank. Is there any negative effects on the inhabitants from this. I have a few Zoa's, a montipora, and several fish. I will clean the glass as soon as I return and use a filter sock to clean it out of the water.
thanks,

Phillybean
12/31/2008, 02:48 PM
No it shouldn't.

klepto
12/31/2008, 02:55 PM
my guess would be that your film algae growth is mostly normal and not a worry--

it could also be fueled by excess nutrients in your source water, from feeding, or from not doing regular water changes. I would try to do a water change before leaving or when you get home- clean the glass and then do a water change immediately after so you can pull some of the algae and other nasties out with your water.

E.intheC
12/31/2008, 03:09 PM
This same thing has happened to me a few times. Just be sure to trim back the algae near your corals before you go. My hair algae grew into my frogspawn a while back while I was gone for a week.. that was not a fun experience, let me tell you.
Otherwise, you should be fine.

blakeorme
12/31/2008, 05:13 PM
Yeah, if I remember correctly it seems that tanks go through this "green film algae" phase during a new setup. At the six month mark everything levels out. My N3 and PO4 are at 0. I haven't seen any diatoms since the first month. Also, I've done x3 30gal water changes since its been setup. The rocks have a green hue but I have not seen a strand of hair algae. thanks for the info.