PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Refugium going to effect SPS??

Rathje70
12/31/2008, 03:14 PM
I currently just have a blue milli in my 29g biocube at this point as far as SPS corals but have some that will be here in about a week.

My question is, is that my refugium is getting very dirty. MY refugium contains about an inch of miracle mud and chaeto. I was going to completely clean out the miracle mud and clean the algae off of the walls and get live rock to put in there instead along with the chaeto. Is this going to be bad for my SPS when I get them, or will it not fluctuate my levels to much?

Thanks,
Rathje70

CleveYank
12/31/2008, 04:16 PM
Not sure why you would tamper with the mud.
Since adding it to my refugium I have seen the softies pop like never before. And my SPS have not skipped a beat.

If you have micro algae growing all over the place you might want to check your TDS out of RO/DI unit and check nitrate and phosphate levels in the system before yanking the mud. More than likely the mud is not the cause of the problem if I understand why you are thinking of taking it out.

Rathje70
12/31/2008, 04:58 PM
CleveYank, I am just cleaning it out to clean it I guess, I know that i have zero phosphates, but was just looking to clean it out of the detrius that has collected in the fuge over the past year. What do you think? I know that most algae in there is beneficial, but it just looks dirty.

Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,
Rathje70

madadi
12/31/2008, 07:17 PM
i would add a tiger tail cucumber. mine got so fat in the fuge that it split and now i have two of them!!! i never thought id see that.

Kip
12/31/2008, 11:29 PM
isolate the fuge...
clean it out/re-load/etc...
run a filter sock on its output to the sump, etc...
run carbon and or run polyfilter in a canister

then a water change at the 24hr mark after putting the fuge back in-line