PDA

View Full Version : large fish for 120 other than kole

Skerp
12/31/2008, 03:41 PM
Hey im planning a 120g but its only 4ft so im not really able to get any tangs other than the kole. I would like some other fish on the larger side that dont need much swimming room like tangs do. I was thinking either a wrasse or two, or maybe an angel but thats probably a no go because i want this tank to be a reef. Any suggesions?

Matt

viodea
12/31/2008, 04:27 PM
read this (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1284946&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

sassafrass
12/31/2008, 04:32 PM
A scribbled rabbit fish is beautiful and would be ok in a 120, here is mine
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn292/sassafrass8/Picture003-1.jpg

Skerp
12/31/2008, 05:15 PM
I went through that thread about the bellus and black spot and wanatabi angels. They look really nice and i will definitely consider them. Also that scribbled rabbit fish is insane looking! never seen that fish before. What about anthias? would they do well in a 120? are they reef safe?

Matt

viodea
12/31/2008, 05:30 PM
is scribbled rabbit reef safe? I'm looking for a nice fish for my 120 too.

sassafrass
12/31/2008, 05:54 PM
It was a model citizen in my tank but I would compare it to a pygmy angel as far as it being reef safe. Anthias are reef safe , however they require frequent feedings and high water quality so filtration becomes an issue . Also the smaller varieties would be fine in a 120 , here are my dispar's
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn292/sassafrass8/Picture247.jpg

Skerp
01/01/2009, 10:50 PM
Sassafrass those are really nice looking. Are dispars the smaller of the anthias?

matt

michellejy
01/01/2009, 11:49 PM
I love my copperband butterfly. They are considered fragile so you have to do some research to get a healthy one. Mine swims all over the tank picking at rock, but he isn't a fast/open-water swimmer, so he never seems cramped.

I'm also planning on a foxface or scribbled rabbitfish.

sassafrass
01/02/2009, 12:14 AM
Yes Dispar anthias only get about 3" max here is a little better pic
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn292/sassafrass8/Picture243.jpg

Skerp
01/02/2009, 05:43 PM
Hey michelle i was wondering how long you have had your copperband and how big is it? I like them as well and am aware they don't often do well. Also are they pretty much like tangs? in that they need a well established system to graze for algae on the LR?

And sass, I am really liking these fish! I love how their colors just fade into each other, its very cool. I've been doing some more research on them and I like some of the bigger ones also. You have a few different species in your tank if i see correctly in that picture. Are they aggressive towards each other? If you only have the one species then o well lol.

Matt

michellejy
01/02/2009, 10:15 PM
I've had my butterfly for two months now, and he is probably about 3" or so. They don't eat algae though, so algae in the tank won't really help/hurt a butterfly.

This is how I did things, but it's probably the opposite of how most people would recommend. :) I bought about 100 pounds of live rock from someone who was dismantling their tank and added another 75 pounds of dry rock to that. The live rock was always kept wet, so my tank never had an initial cycle. My butterfly was actually the second addition to the tank, but I don't know if it helped that it was "established" live rock. They are very peaceful, so in my logic, it made sense to add him early on when nothing else in the tank would intimidate him.

I also didn't quarantine, which is not something I generally recommend, but for this fragile species, I wanted to make sure he had live rock to graze on in case he was refusing frozen foods. I watched him eat at the LFS prior to taking him home, acclimated him for about 2 hour, added him to the tank, and fed him about an hour later. He's been eating like a pig ever since, so I have no reason to believe that will change. (*knock on wood*)

I also overfeed my tank and skim heavily. I know one of the biggest problems with copperbands is they slowly starve, so mine gets mysis 3 times a day. He does graze on the live rock constantly between meals, and I think even if I fed the tank 10 times a day, he would be the first in line to get food every time.

Skerp
01/02/2009, 10:42 PM
It sounds like you took some good precautions. And I did find that they are indeed carnivores so yea my mistake 8P. When you say you skim heavily, do you use multiple skimmers or use a skimmer for a larger tank than your 120?

thanks again :) i hope he continues to do well for you!
Matt

Skerp
01/02/2009, 10:52 PM
How about a foxface for a 120g? Are they aggressive fish? I gotta see if they are compatible with kole, wrasses, anthias, and copperband.. . .lol to be honest Im just posting my thoughts so i can change my avatar. Blah blah jibberish blah.

reefergeorge
01/02/2009, 11:28 PM
Porcupine puffer. Maybe not invert safe, but coral safe.

My foxface gets along with everyone, and can hold his own. One would be great in your tank.

michellejy
01/02/2009, 11:29 PM
My skimmer is rated for a tank larger than mine, but I also "skim wet"- meaning I empty the skimmer daily.

I hope that combo works since I have a butterfly, wrasses, anthias, and will add a foxface next. :D

sassafrass
01/03/2009, 12:39 AM
All the same species of anthias the difference you spotted is sexual.

heyfredyourhat
01/03/2009, 12:32 PM
I have 2 clowns, one spot foxface and a white cheek tang in my 4' 120. No trouble from any of them, they all swim around together

screwsloose
01/03/2009, 01:07 PM
if you are looking for a nice looking foxface look at the majestic foxfaces. they take the gold for looks. or another rabbitfish that i have and love is the orange spotted rabbit fish. they are very cool and peace full in my experience.