PDA

View Full Version : two questions that should be simple

mb167204
12/31/2008, 03:43 PM
I just got my Ca tested and it was around 350. I have some chemicals that were given to me when i got the tank. I have some Kent Ca supplementation stuff and also kalkwasher.
How do you use the kalkwasher exactly. Is is hard to increase the Ca without affecting the pH.

Also i was looking into upgrading my power heads. Have any of you guys tried out these. They say they work through the glass so no wires. They look awesome. Vortech mp40w
heres the link
http://www.ecotechmarine.com/products/mp40w.php

mb167204
12/31/2008, 03:47 PM
nevermind on the powerheads. I just saw the price. wow.

192clark
12/31/2008, 05:42 PM
kalk will raise both it is best to let it drip in slowly into the sump. You could raise the CA to where you want it with the Kent CA then maintain with kalk. If you look in the chemistry forum look under reef chemistry articles. There is a two part supplement outlined by Randy Holems Farley. Works for me.

fishyfriend4u
12/31/2008, 07:21 PM
I use a two part dosing Kent Ca supplementation at the moment. Like he said it has to be done slowly. Check you PH before you dose and about 30min - 1 hr after you dose. My ph does a little jump from 8.0 to 8.4 when i dose the kent stuff.
As far as kalkwasser goes you will want to do some reading on proper use. A good way to use this supplement is 5 gal bucket with whatever recomened dosage on bottle is, topoff water, and a drip drilled into it.

“Kalkwasser,” which is calcium hydroxide. It is added on a regular basis by mixing it with the purified water being added to compensate for evaporation. These regular additions of calcium hydroxide also keep the pH elevated to the desired 8.2 to 8.4 level.

Add the Kalkwasser within a day after you mix it; it gradually loses effectiveness after it is mixed Watch the water in the sump! This is where you will see the change in water level. effectiveness right after it has been mixed. It will have the highest concentration of available calcium just after the sediment settles out of the solution.

On larger tanks, 125 gallons and up, 5 gallons of make-up water will not have as much of an effect as it will in smaller tanks. For a 125-gallon tank, the Kalkwasser can be added at the rate of approximately 5 gallons in 8 to 12 hours. In a 200-gallon or larger tank, the 5 gallons can be added without any clamping system, allowing the airline tube to empty the 5-gallon bucket unrestricted. This will take less than 1 hour.

Another suggestion is to add the Kalkwasser mix when the tank lights go out, or (ideally) first thing in the morning. While the lights are off, the pH drops, reaching its lowest level the next day just before the lights come back on. If you add the Kalkwasser during this reef “night,” the effect of raising the pH will not be as significant as it would be during lighted hours.

There may be some questions and concerns about adding 5 gallons of Kalkwasser all at once. Yes, some critics may be correct that adding smaller amounts more frequently would be a less risky, less stressful, and more natural approach. However, I have used my method on tanks from 55 to 200 gallons, with no adverse effects, and I have not lost one creature due to pH shock. You do have to be careful on smaller tanks, but once you get familiar with this system, I’m sure you will find it to be very practical: (1) you will add make-up water less frequently, and (2) on larger tanks (125 gallons and up), you can add 5 gallons of make-up water at a time, which is a significant, convenient, easily measurable amount of water to add.

***Do not mix with an airstone; this will add carbon dioxide and oxygen, which will reduce the effectiveness of the calcium hydroxide and defeat its purpose!***

why it is so important to add Kalkwasser.
Some of the benefits are:

* It adds calcium that is needed by most of the creatures in the reef.
* It encourages the growth of pink and purple coralline algae.
* It keeps the pH elevated. By adding Kalkwasser on a regular basis (make-up water) and doing water changes every 2 to 3 weeks, I have found my pH to be consistently between 8.2 and 8.4. Keeping the pH at this level makes it less likely that micro-algae will become a problem.

dbrann11
12/31/2008, 08:39 PM
according to the articles on this site regarding kalkwasser if you store it unagitated, with a lid it doesn't appreciably lose affectiveness. if you stir it with an airstone or a powerhead however it will lose its effectiveness very quickly. Leaving it undisturbed in a relatively sealed container allows a skin of calcium carbonate to for which protects the rest of the solution from CO2 and further conversion to calcium carbonate. I am just regurgitating articles, I haven't tested it myself.

192clark
12/31/2008, 08:50 PM
dbrann11 you are correct. If I am not mistaken Randy Holems Farley, the author of those articles makes up like 40-50 gals at a time.

mmedeiros2
12/31/2008, 09:12 PM
I don't use kalkwasser, but I found this article for the future if I ever needed it. I don't know if this link will work.
C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Desktop\Aquarium Articles\kalkwasser Mix Info..mht

mmedeiros2
12/31/2008, 09:14 PM
Here we go. Try reading this.
http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html