PDA

View Full Version : experince with c. eibli?

reefworm
12/31/2008, 04:33 PM
[also posted in reef fishes forum]

also known as the red stripe angelfish http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+457&pcatid=457

who's kept one, and how difficult are they to keep? I'm still hoping against hope for a Centropyge sp. that is not like playing with live grenades in a reef environment. anyone keep one in a reef successfully? unsuccessfully? The good Drs. say "It may occasionally nip at sessile invertebrates and clam mantles." Does that sound like wishful thinking, an understatement, or an accurate account of their behavior around corals. thanks for indulging my failing hope - I love these animals, but I love healthy corals more.

E.intheC
12/31/2008, 06:06 PM
I had one when I still had my 55 gallon FOWLR up.. it was a great looking and acting fish.. I wouldnt trust it with my corals though.. They're known to be nippers

aaron1987
12/31/2008, 06:14 PM
I can certainly commiserate with you over wanting to keep cyntropyge... I haven't kept Eibli, but am interested in hearing more about them. I searched for it on WWM but the only thing I've found is Fenner saying the following: "[Ebili] is an excellent aquarium species, especially coming from Sri Lanka, its principal source, though found all over the eastern Indian Ocean over to the Maldives. Closely related to Centropyge vroliki of the Pacific, with which it hybridizes". I looked up vroliki and can only discern it eats algae and sponges in the wild.

Tagging along for some first hand accounts...

sassafrass
12/31/2008, 06:49 PM
We had one in a clients tank , it was great for about 1.5 years then it ate almost all the soft corals in the well established softy tank. and was very difficult to remove!!!

ICUP
12/31/2008, 06:55 PM
I have one for over 2 years ... she is very good so far but ... xenias are her fav to nip on....... overall it's easy ... eats everything even flakes ..... hides a lot so not to much to enjoy

nikon187
12/31/2008, 08:28 PM
IMO not reef safe..niped at soft and lps

reefworm
12/31/2008, 11:33 PM
thanks everyone. sigh.

crvz
01/01/2009, 01:38 PM
indeed, I had a half-black that was a terror, I would suspect similar from the eibli. Not worth the risk in my opinion.