PDA

View Full Version : What is the best/easy CA test?

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 07:51 PM
I bought this test from my LFS its Seatest from Aqurium Systems (was 40 bucks)...and i find that I can't get a good read from it. It has 2 different chem that you add to the test tube, then wile "swerling" count the drops of a 3rd until it turns blue, after it turns blue you supposed to multiply the num of drops by 15 and that's you Cal level.
The Problem is that it never turns blue...just purple and I have no idea just how purple it should be when I should do my multiplying....?

Isnt there a test strip or something easyer?

fishox
12/31/2008, 08:13 PM
I use Salifert's Ca test. It too uses multiple drops and a powder but the color change is pretty obvious and I've found it to be fairly easy to use. Also, Salifert brand kits are generally regarded as pretty accurate and reliable. In my experience the test strip style kits tend to be less accurate.

will16
12/31/2008, 08:15 PM
The API test is pretty easy There are 2 chemicals. Add, swirl, add while counting the drops. The number you count to when the color changes is your calc. (multuplied by 20... i.e, 20 drops = 400)

I also use salifert. I little more involved.

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 08:15 PM
so....does you test turn Blue? or purple? and how much of a color change do you consider to be enough?

will16
12/31/2008, 08:20 PM
The api turns purple and the salifert turns blue. The api is easier to tell (pretty obvious).

SaltyDr
12/31/2008, 08:49 PM
Basically at the first sign of a color change, that is your reading. Sometimes it starts to change colors but you need a drop or two to make it stay that color. I use Salifert and it's pretty easy. Blue, purple should basically be the same. It's when it changes color - that's your level.

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 08:54 PM
see mine changes colors gradualy......not...all at once
so....i just tested again....and as soon as it starts to change i come up with 300....and when I had my LFS check it the other day they said 460

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 08:55 PM
so...does that mean I need to dose? or am I doing the test wrong?

SaltyDr
12/31/2008, 09:02 PM
Hmmm, maybe bring your test kit to the LFS and test their water with their kit and with yours. The Salifert is a pretty abrupt change, but with yours it makes it difficult to tell. Is there a number of the company you can call? Maybe it's a defective test kit. An unreliable test kit is more dangerous than no test kit at all.

Chris&Mel
12/31/2008, 09:06 PM
Hum.....I'll give that a shot.....unfortunatly the LFS is'nt open tomorow being its a holiday......if my CA is acualy that low will it hurt to leave it for another day?

SaltyDr
12/31/2008, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't sweat it. Chances are that your test kit is the bad one. What does the LFS use to test? Another way to test is to make up a small batch of fresh saltwater and to find what the calcium level is for your particular brand. Either search RC or google it. Then test it with your kit to find out if your kit is right or wrong, or what the color is when you hit the target level it is supposed to be. Hope that makes sense.