PDA

View Full Version : Used tank - clean with bleach?

matt99eo
12/31/2008, 08:17 PM
I just a acquired a used tank that needs a good scrubbin. Should I use bleach with my water as I clean and then rinse a ton and let it fully dry to evaporate any remaining bleach? Are there any better methods thank this to clean the tank?

Also the seams on the inside of the tank are peeling a little at the edge of 'smear' from apply the silicone. Is this ok so long as the tank has passed a water test?

fishyfriend4u
12/31/2008, 08:30 PM
I recommend cleaning with a couple gallons of vinegar. Not bleach. I used 5 gallons of vinegar to clean out the 90 i got and it was horrible!
Anyways Vinegar all the way! To clean off overflows soak towel drape it on the flip it every hr and next day scrub! Got of calcium and coralline and all dead debris. And smear will be fine!

jenglish
12/31/2008, 09:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14053133#post14053133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishyfriend4u
I recommend cleaning with a couple gallons of vinegar. Not bleach. I used 5 gallons of vinegar to clean out the 90 i got and it was horrible!
Anyways Vinegar all the way! To clean off overflows soak towel drape it on the flip it every hr and next day scrub! Got of calcium and coralline and all dead debris. And smear will be fine!

+1, avoid bleach.

ruarox
12/31/2008, 09:40 PM
i use bleach oneverything

ruarox
12/31/2008, 09:41 PM
oh and make sure you dont use windex either

matt99eo
12/31/2008, 09:46 PM
Gave er' a wash down with vinegar and am letting it dry now.

There is a bit black stuff that will not come off the seams. Mold or mildew? Is the tank still usable?

Zestay
01/01/2009, 12:09 AM
bleach is a fine cleaner. ask in the chemisty fourms. it evaporates quickly and well. just rinse , rinse rinse rinse. ive bleached everything , tanks and rocks. just double do your rinseing and maybe add some dechlorniater ( amquel works for this ) and rinse all that out as well.

heres a pic of some rock that i had soaking in a strong bleach bath. and these rocks were brown with gunk when i got them. now they are pure white. and ready for use

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/tacoocat/random1023-1.jpg

Zestay
01/01/2009, 12:13 AM
about the seams of the tank. if your unsure. get a new tank man. the bleach and the mold i wouldnt worry about. peeling silicone can mean disaster. and a tank is such a small investment when you look at the grand scheme of things ( how much damage would all that salt water cause on your floor if you werent home and a seem popped? ) thosands is the answer

killarsox
01/01/2009, 12:30 AM
Use Magic Wipes, they're like foam pads they'll be able to scrub off and take off just about anything. Including permanent marker on a wall haha.

Tswifty
01/01/2009, 07:36 PM
bleach is perfectly fine.

NirvanaFan
01/01/2009, 07:43 PM
You could use bleach. It won't harm the tank long term or anything.

I might worry about the pealing seems. Could you snap a picture of them? If they worry you at all, I would replace the tank, or get them fixed. It's really not worth one of them springing a leak.