PDA

View Full Version : Cycling question ?

joeyt66
01/01/2009, 08:31 AM
Ive had my main tank 220g up an runnin for about 3 years and recently had a set back do to ick. So i took the remaining fish out and QT. What i did was took about 2/3 of the water out (to fill the pond i put them in and used copper to cure ) my question is i always kept the lr and remaining water ,heated and with a couple powerheads going and topped it off over the last 2 -3weeks adding about 20 gallons every couple days also taking water out and using it to water change on the QT. Am i going to have a cycle?

Gary Majchrzak
01/01/2009, 08:49 AM
no.
cycle will be very minimal if at all.

Don't use infected water from your system on the QT tank.
Cryptocaryon has a free swimming stage and you might be re-infecting the fishes in QT by using water from the infected system.

joeyt66
01/01/2009, 08:57 AM
sorry i meant it was after the 6 week period i started using the main tank water as water changes and replacing with fresh new SW. Havent made so much ro and sw in my life seems like thats all ive been doin lol

Gary Majchrzak
01/01/2009, 08:58 AM
sounds like you know what you're doing.
Are the fishes in QT recovering?

dwd5813
01/01/2009, 09:00 AM
i'd use new water for the qt for the above reason, although without a host the ich will go through it's cycle and die off in the main tank in something like 8 weeks i think.

as to the cycling question it seems reasonable to me to expect some diminishing of the bacterial population but as long as you take your time adding things back it will recover well enough. keep testing levels for a while before adding things back to set your mind at ease.

joeyt66
01/01/2009, 09:00 AM
yes lost a few during the process but the remaining have been doin great and cant wait to get out of the 35's and back into the 220g