PDA

View Full Version : Water Change Questions

KTogna
01/01/2009, 10:44 AM
I have a new BC29 with about 25 lbs of live rock, 12 hermit crabs, 6 Marguarita snails, one turbo snail, one clownfish, one yellow tang, a sun polyp coral, and a Zynia coral.
There is very little algae growth at this time (the Tang took care of what was there).

My ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels have been at zero for several weeks.

Here are my questions: Other than controlling nitrate levels, are there other reasons to do water changes on a weekly/biweekly basis? Do the water changes accomplish reduction of other undesirable components or replenishment of desirable components? Which ones?

Thanks.

tmz
01/01/2009, 10:57 AM
Yes. All of them.

LoyalConvict
01/01/2009, 11:00 AM
first A-lot of people are going to chastise you for having a tang in 29 gallon tank

second doing water changes helps to keep your cal. Alk. mag. And trace elements ect at acceptable levels, and what you mentioned to keep ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in check

iamwrasseman
01/01/2009, 11:23 AM
there are different reasons for doing water changes on each and every different tank . for whatever reason that it is rather than getting complicated , do water changes every week or post the new problem that you have caused by not doing so . i must admit that i have a 12 tank fish only system that i have not done a water change on in years ,i just add tap water . you have to understand the type of inhabitents that are in each tank and thier needs as far as water parimiters and feeding .thus each deal is different . i know your cringing at the thought of what i said about my fish only system but i have extremily hardy fish in it triggers and morey eels only .so i can get away with it . I WOULD NEVER EVEN SUGGEST THAT YOU SHOULD NOT DO WATERCHANGES BECAUSE THEY ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT YOU SHOULD BE DOING , IN MY OPINION .