PDA

View Full Version : changing out my crushed coral

richg315
01/01/2009, 11:27 AM
So i got thinking and am trying to plan to swap out my crushed coral for livesand. I have heard that this is quite a project, taking everything out of your tank and then putting it back in. The problem is my crushed coral has a "green" tint to it from the algae outbreaks i had when first starting up the tank. I was hoping that after some time the tint would go away, but unfortunately it hasn't. has anyone done the crushed coral to livesand transition and if so could you give some advice? Thanks to all who reply and have a great day!!!!

Rich

Michael
01/01/2009, 11:43 AM
i did yes, i followed toddrex s recommendations, basically i did remove all rock and corals and sat them into a large container with existing water and a powerhead and heater,
i then saved as much water as possible and just stripped the tank of the remaining water and crushed coral sand, after wiping the tank down i put most of the water back in and added the live rock, then 24 hrs later when it cleared added more water but new clean water, after another day or so i added the sand and when that cleared the corals, heres todds link http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1233581&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

paraletho
01/01/2009, 04:30 PM
I've heard to rinse well and then add through a 2-2.5" PVC pipe allowing the sand to hit bottom without traveling through the water column. This works especially well when just adding sand or substrate without a complete tear down.