PDA

View Full Version : LR in the sump

t5Nitro
01/01/2009, 12:57 PM
I have a lot of leftover pieces of LR that I didn't need in the display tank since I set it up. Well, some may know that I have been having a bad GHA problem since 8 months ago. Finally getting it to grow very slow, but it still hasn't stopped.

I've tried everything, except one thing...

That LR in the sump (the sump is FULL of LR pieces)...
Is it possible that the detritus they are holding back is causing most of this problem?

I know under the small ball of chaeto I have in there, there is a buildup of detritus as well as a few other areas.

My plan was to get 40 gallons of water mixing so I can change that throughout the next 3 days. That's another thing I hadn't tried yet was a larger water change.

But during this water change time, I will use some of it to replace the water level loss by taking the LR out of the sump and making it a "clean" sump/fuge. The bad part is that I don't have a small siphon or powerhead to use to suck the detritus up.

I tried before with the regular siphon and got a mouth full. Bad experience - never ever doing it again! :mad2:

:lol:

Thanks.

ErikAnderson
01/01/2009, 03:32 PM
i bought a turkey baster and hit all my LR about once every other day. It fogs up the tank and causes the skimmer to go crazy but i am starting to get on top of it.

i see no reason why you cant do this to your sump as well.

woodiecrafts
01/01/2009, 04:19 PM
Do you run any type of filter sock on your sump to catch all the left over waste that can get down there through the overflow?

t5Nitro
01/01/2009, 05:00 PM
I started to a little while ago. I'm using the filter sponge things that came with the overflow kits. I am going to keep using them until I run out.

RODI unit has been running all day. Now time to get some water mixing. :)

Can't wait almost to get the rocks out of the sump and clean it so there is no detritus. Makes me want to watch the algae disintegrate. Haha. Hopefully cleaning the sump helps.