PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on lighting...

Anemone0524
01/01/2009, 03:35 PM
Hey all - I'm fairly new at this, so pardon me if this is an obvious question. The below T-5 fixtures in 48" are virtually the same price. I'm just wondering what the real difference is between these two units. The people at Drs. F&S couldn't really tell me ( other than the moonlights and number of bulbs).

What would you, the seasoned reefer, get between these two? Or maybe both these fixtures are trash...if so, point me in the right direction.

The tank is a 90gal mixed reef, still being put together.

Thanks!

Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20051011142912/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg_rd_21106_27696VS.jpg

Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20080203165541/www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/larger/lg-32831-44012-fish-supply.jpg

Elan L.
01/01/2009, 03:39 PM
if they are almost the same, but one has moon lights, i would go with the first one IMO, but get everyone elses opinion too.

BTW, there is no such thing as a stupid question especially on this topic.

Anemone0524
01/01/2009, 03:42 PM
yea I agree with you on that, i'm kind of leaning towards the moonlights. hoping someone has had experience with either of them. :D

Elan L.
01/01/2009, 03:45 PM
i dont have those lunar lights but i have a TEK t5 fixture and wish they were built in. i had to buy a seperate ballast and velcro the two moonlight to the fixture lol

Brent RH
01/01/2009, 03:50 PM
I have the bottom light Nova pro extreme. Its a high output light vs the other I don't think is. It will be a very white light. I changed The bulbs to 5x attinic and just one 10k. Oh and I got mine for $100 less than on F&S by googling Nova pro extreme. A small list comes up at the top of the search engine. Hope I was of some help. For sure the bottom light will be brighter

Chris&Mel
01/01/2009, 03:59 PM
I have the first one (the sun dial) and am very happy with it, has the timers and moon lights buit right in. The only thing I don't like about it is that it come with crap bulbs, but they'll do for a wile, after the holidays are over I'm planning on ordering some good ones.

ReefWreak
01/01/2009, 04:00 PM
The second light has "almost" individual reflectors, meaning that you'll get better efficiency out of your lights than the first fixture, which has one large reflector (not very efficient at all).

The questions I want to ask you in either case is:

1. What size tank will this be on? (I know length, but what about height)
2. What corals are you planning on keeping in this tank?

Depending on those questions, I would even suggest saving up your pennies and doing it right from the first time, going with one of the more expensive fixtures if possible to get better individual reflectors to take more of the light from the bulbs and hammer it down into the tank. One thing that I wish I did was get the right equipment the first time. I couldn't more often than not, because I'm a poor college student, however I've found that buying used on RC has allowed me to save a TON of money, and buy good quality equipment that lasts forever and is fantastic. I've gotten great deals on my Deltec calcium reactor and Euro Reef skimmer by buying used, two items that I could NEVER have afforded to buy new. Also keep in mind that in this down market MANY people are liquidating their tanks for not very much money, so there have been deals to be found EVERYWHERE for lighting and other equipment.

Hope that helps, even thought it didn't directly answer your question.

Chris&Mel
01/01/2009, 04:33 PM
If the first one is a sundail....it has the same "stamped" indevidual reflectors as the 6 bulb light does. At least thats what mine came with.

ReefWreak
01/01/2009, 04:37 PM
The first one isn't a sundial. it's the nova Extreme. I had it when I first started my 120. I sold it quickly.... The second one is the Extreme pro, which does have the stamped "individual" reflectors. The first one is one large parabolic reflector.

BTW moonlights should be the least of your worries when looking at a lighting fixture.

gbothepro
01/01/2009, 05:00 PM
You should save up your pennies and do it right the first time like ReefWreak said. And get a better fixture with true individual reflectors. (i.e) Tek t5, Aquatinics, or ATI. But if you have your heart set on one of the two you posted. Go with the Nova Extreme Pro. It is more efficient then the Nova Extreme with the moon lights.

Henryreef
01/01/2009, 05:04 PM
I originally (I recently up graded to MH) started with the nova extreme 4 bulb fixture and it worked fine for softies and some LPS, but if you want to keep corals that need more light the nova extreme won't cut it. The nova exteme pro (the lower pic) is a more powerful fixture and has individual reflectors which increase its efficiency. This might be O.K. for SPS, but i haven't used this fixture and don't know its wattage. As for the moonlights, I found them to be not that great on the nova extreme fixture. You can always buy moonlights seperate from the main fixture. I agree, moonlights should NOT decide which fixture you get.

Anemone0524
01/01/2009, 05:17 PM
The tank is a 90 gallon standard, which I believe is 48L x 18W x 24H

Not 100% sure on corals, i'm not really married to anything right now. EXCEPT, I know i find clams and anemones to be fascinating, so I will probably want to aspire to be able to keep either of those, or both. I'm aware that they are very light dependent.

I think my question was answered, in that, the main difference is that the Nova Extreme PRO has individual reflectors (kind of), where as the Nova Extreme does not.

It sounds like both units are merely satisfactory, and if I want something of higher performance, i'd have to look elsewhere.

Gbot mentioned TEK t5, Aquatinics, or ATI. ATI looks to be way out of my price range, Aquatinics looks doable, and TEK t5 looks complicated. I'm just starting out, so if there's seperate parts, or assembly, i will screw that up.

I've heard from a couple of different sources that it's a bad idea to buy a few things used, one of them being the lighting...

Has anyone purchased some of these units used before? Any problems?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14057471#post14057471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak
The second light has "almost" individual reflectors, meaning that you'll get better efficiency out of your lights than the first fixture, which has one large reflector (not very efficient at all).

The questions I want to ask you in either case is:

1. What size tank will this be on? (I know length, but what about height)
2. What corals are you planning on keeping in this tank?

Depending on those questions, I would even suggest saving up your pennies and doing it right from the first time, going with one of the more expensive fixtures if possible to get better individual reflectors to take more of the light from the bulbs and hammer it down into the tank. One thing that I wish I did was get the right equipment the first time. I couldn't more often than not, because I'm a poor college student, however I've found that buying used on RC has allowed me to save a TON of money, and buy good quality equipment that lasts forever and is fantastic. I've gotten great deals on my Deltec calcium reactor and Euro Reef skimmer by buying used, two items that I could NEVER have afforded to buy new. Also keep in mind that in this down market MANY people are liquidating their tanks for not very much money, so there have been deals to be found EVERYWHERE for lighting and other equipment.

Hope that helps, even thought it didn't directly answer your question.

Anemone0524
01/01/2009, 05:26 PM
okay, was searching around for Aquatinics.. Found this. Is this going to be better than the fixtures in my original post? Has anyone owned this?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Aquactinics/T5_fixture.jpg
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Aquactinics/TX5_1.jpg
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Aquactinics/TX5_2.jpg

BLACK TX5 5 Lamp T5 HO Fixtures.

Features:
#

Built in ballasts
# Built in fan
# Fulllength splash shield included
# Accommodates various hanging and mounting systems
# Individual reflectors using Miro IV aluminum
# All Aluminum, powdercoated housing
# Two switches/power cords for greater lighting control
# NOW - Includes tank mounting brackets

Dimensions of 24" fixture are: 24" L x 9.5" W x 4.25" H
Dimensions of 48" fixture are: 48" L x 9.5" W x 4.25" H
Dimensions of 36" fixture are: 36" L x 9.5" W x 4.25" H

T5 bulbs, Hanging Kit, Riser Brackets are sold separately.

ReefWreak
01/01/2009, 05:27 PM
I know I've bought all of my lighting equipment used except for bulbs (but we're talking halides here). I would definitely consider buying an Aquatinics, especially if you can find a deal on a used one. Of course you'll probably have to replace the bulbs, but that's part of the T5 game.

If you're worried about not getting enough light into the tank, at least 24" deep isn't the end of the world, and if you went with a 6 or 8 bulb fixture with individual reflectors (especially if you're considering the nova extreme pro) you'll be in business.

I'd love to try T5 again, but I don't have much money to spend, and it's a big expense to have just sitting around, and while you can get fantastic colors, I've always felt that most T5 tanks kind of look sterile... though with great colors. I'm trying Radiums right now on my tank to see if I can get some better colors in my tank.

ReefWreak
01/01/2009, 05:31 PM
And that fixture looks really nice. I think it would do just fine, CERTAINLY MUCH better than either of the Nova fixtures.

Anemone0524
01/01/2009, 05:41 PM
Aquatinics TX5 vs Nova Extreme Pro now...

the TX5 seems to be an excellent choice, comes with fan and splash guard, curved design....but I think the reason you buy a TX5 is because of this from the website:

"All fixtures come with 98% reflectivity Miro Silver full-length individual reflectors for maximum light propagation."

I'm pretty sure I don't know what that means, but it definitely sounds intense. Problem is, teh Nova Extreme Pro also claims to have individual reflectors for maximum light propogation. So there's really not a good way to measure what's better....

Has anybody owned a TX5 from Aquatinics? thoughts?

stricknine
01/01/2009, 05:52 PM
After a ton of searching myself for the same: 4' fixture T5HO, cost vs performance, this is what I came up with;

1st place - Aquactinics TX5 (shown above)
2nd place - TEK light (and I believe that is by sundial, not sure)
3rd Place - Nova extreme pro

I decided on the TX5, its a bit more expensive than the others, but will do it all;clams, anemones, LPS, and a lot of SPS. My thought is to do it right the first time - if I went with either of the others, I would be replacing them in no time. its not saving anything if it has to be replaced from day 1.

** also check out grimreefers T5 thread in the lighting forum. I had him put together a lamp scheme for me for the TX5, and if you read the thread a bit youll know why hes the guy to ask! Heres my configuration;

Aquactinics TX5 5 lamp unit would be my first choice.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

The 2nd and 4th lamps are on one circuit and will make a nice dusk/dawn combo.

ReefWreak
01/01/2009, 06:01 PM
Though I havn't owned either, I have to say from the technologies of the reflectors, they're a world apart (the aquatinics and the Nova Ext. Pro). The Tek are good, but not as good as the aquatinics. The comparison of them having the same reflectivity doesn't really matter, because it's about how the light is directed, not how much is reflected, because 95-98-99, all very similar, but you can trash all of that reflectivity if your reflectors aren't concentrating the light downwards in a focused beam. See if you can find pictures of the geometry of the reflectors.

Anemone0524
01/01/2009, 06:15 PM
good info, thanks ReefWreak and Stricknine. Yes, i've waded through the Grimreefer's thread(s) before :) That guy knows what he's talking about.

Found a TX5 for $300 used 1 year old on Ebay...i'm defintely thinking about it.

Are all TX5's the same? I'm finding the prices vary wildly.

For example: Ebay used $300
DIYREEF.com $370.36 (Aquactinics TX5 Series 48 inch T5HO Fixture)
PremiumAquatics.com: $462.95 (from the information I posted above)
ReefFX.com $462.00 (Aquactinics TX5 HO 48" Series Fixture)....

stricknine
01/01/2009, 06:43 PM
The only difference I see is the DIYREEF notes at the top 95% MIRO reflectivity where the current fixtures are stated as 98%. Not sure if that is going to make much difference or not. I tried to order from DIY but they refunded the purchase with some bogus excuse saying they cannot ship anything larger than 36" to canada which unless is a "company policy" is a load of BS. Out of the 5 online suppliers, 4/5 sell the fixture at $462 give or take a few pennies.

I am always weary of buying used, and depending on what the ebay seller wants for shipping you may not save a whole lot. To canada, my shipping was quoted at $30-40 from the online guys, some were shipping free to USA (salty critter?) If you go the e-bay way, confirm the condition of the reflectors (if you even wipe or touch them you take away a lot of the luster) and dont be surprised if a ballast goes on them.

For the moonlights, check out Ebay-other side of the moon or marine and reef.com. they seem to offer the best moonlight, and in 1 solid 4' strip. looks like it wouldnt be much to super glue that light bar to the side of the TX5 housing.

gbothepro
01/01/2009, 11:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14058169#post14058169 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Anemone0524
good info, thanks ReefWreak and Stricknine. Yes, i've waded through the Grimreefer's thread(s) before :) That guy knows what he's talking about.

Found a TX5 for $300 used 1 year old on Ebay...i'm defintely thinking about it.

Are all TX5's the same? I'm finding the prices vary wildly.

For example: Ebay used $300
DIYREEF.com $370.36 (Aquactinics TX5 Series 48 inch T5HO Fixture)
PremiumAquatics.com: $462.95 (from the information I posted above)
ReefFX.com $462.00 (Aquactinics TX5 HO 48" Series Fixture)....

The person that is seliing the Tx5 fixture on ebay, also has the fixture for sale here on Reef Central. If you have any questions you can send him a PM. I was thinking about getting it myself as you see I sent him a PM myself, but found a really good deal on a TEK that fits my budget a lil better.Here's the link.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1539979

ReiferMadness
01/02/2009, 01:35 AM
I bought the Current USA Outer Reef lights which includes that moonlights, MH and T5's. From the feedback I received I will have to change out my MH when I get it to get some of the 'yellow' out of the bulb that comes with it.

I paid $400 for my lights and they should be arriving tomorrow. I have a 47g that's 22" wide. I bought the 24" lighting set up.

IslandCrow
01/02/2009, 08:43 AM
"All fixtures come with 98% reflectivity Miro Silver full-length individual reflectors for maximum light propagation."

I'm pretty sure I don't know what that means, but it definitely sounds intense. Problem is, teh Nova Extreme Pro also claims to have individual reflectors for maximum light propogation. So there's really not a good way to measure what's better....

Realize it's not just the reflectivity of the reflectors that makes a difference, but also the design. Aquactinics, Icecap, Tek and ATI reflectors are much better designed, and more efficient. And there actually is a way to tell the difference. You measure the output with a PAR meter. Now, I know most of us don't have each of those units along with a PAR meter, but if you go over to the Equipment and Lighting forum, Grim Reefer has tested many of those units, and he can probably tell you how much better one is. The best way to contact him is probably through this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1527167. In short, he'll tell you the ATI is better than the Aquactinics, which is better than the Tek, which is better than the Nova Extreme Pro. Anything less than those probably isn't worth it for anything other than a soft coral tank.

Anyway, Stricknine, I'm thinking you'll be happy with that Aquactinics fixture. I've never owned one, but I've heard good things about them. You may still want to ask in the link I provided above if 5 bulbs will be good enough for what you plan on keeping, though. My tank is half your size, so I don't have a very educated opinion on that.