PDA

View Full Version : Lamarck's Angelfish...bad

reefrick.M
01/01/2009, 03:52 PM
Like with all fish everyone is an individual. I'm sure everyone here will say what a model citizen and how absolutely reef safe they are, the books say it. Well not mine. First thing it did was pick at my acans...now they no longer come out. Then it seemed to like to pick at certain acros...now they no longer have any polyp extension. If this keeps up I will be forced to take my tank apart to catch it and that will totally suck!

jmaneyapanda
01/01/2009, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately, this happens, even with the "reef safe" Genicanthus. I have heard of more Lamarks doing this than others (ie- Bellus, watanabeis).

viodea
01/01/2009, 04:29 PM
I'm thinking about getting Lamarck too. This make me re-think again. Too bad Bellus & Watanabeis are a little too expensive.

yellowslayer13
01/01/2009, 04:50 PM
some do this mine doesn't.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff223/yellowslayer13/WU7S1507.jpg

Chibils
01/01/2009, 11:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14057482#post14057482 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmaneyapanda
Unfortunately, this happens, even with the "reef safe" Genicanthus. I have heard of more Lamarks doing this than others (ie- Bellus, watanabeis). This is a new one for me, but I trust you Jeremy so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14057624#post14057624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by viodea
I'm thinking about getting Lamarck too. This make me re-think again. Too bad Bellus & Watanabeis are a little too expensive. I got a tiny juv. at a store around here (1.5") for $30. One of the healthiest fish in my tank. And cute. Far healthier than the 3.5" melanospilos I got at another lfs for $80. Regardless, it seems to happen in less than 5% of Genicanthus angels ime. (Enough to be statistically significant, not hardly an epidemic.)

Outerbank
01/02/2009, 12:20 AM
My lamarck was awesome! I love those fish and may end up purchasing another.

They have big appetites, so make sure it is fed well. Plenty of meaty foods. Is yours well fed and fat?

reefrick.M
01/02/2009, 05:40 AM
It is well fed. Right after feeding it will start nipping corals.

BangkokMatt
01/02/2009, 06:03 AM
As Jeremy said, the odd one will go against the general rule. That's fish for you - there are no certainties.

jmaneyapanda
01/02/2009, 08:11 AM
Honestly, I have heard of probably a dozen cases of this exact thing- genicanthus angels- usually lamarks, just picking and picking. Thats why it bugs me when people insist that they are 100% reef safe. Honestly, no fish is really 100% reef safe, and the argument of "reef safedness" is so subjective and pointless, but it has happened.

Would I ever not get a Genicanthus because of occurances like this? No. They are beautiful, and are typically corals safe. But, they ahve been know to turn.

An intertesing thing I noticed, though, you said you feed him, then he nips? I wonder if the corals are grabbiong oem of teh food, and he is picking at the food remannts hanging on the corals. Do you see him nip at other times? How often do you feed?

Sheol
01/02/2009, 10:28 AM
No doubt! My biggest coral menace is my clownfish! Absolute little beast..

Matthew