PDA

View Full Version : Setting up quarantine tank

vyerous
01/01/2009, 04:40 PM
Here is what I've got:

10 gallon, heater, small pump for flow, no light.

Should I use the mechanical filter that I've had on my DT? It has the sponge, carbon, and ceramic and it has been running on my DT for 3 months now. My question is, is it beneficial to have the used filter on the QT tank for ammonia control, or is it better to run it bare?

Do I absolutely need light? Do I need a lot of flow? If I have the used filter with the beneficial bacteria does that reduce the need for water changes?

Thanks!

WaterKeeper
01/01/2009, 04:49 PM
By all means use the mechanical filter. It provides circulation and the sponge harbors bacteria. You really do need some light, not much, but some. I don't know if you are QT'ing new arrivals or have a sick fish. Either way a little light helps. Just a common fluorescent will do. Water changes are a must as toxic componds build up far faster in a small tank than a large.

Henryreef
01/01/2009, 05:10 PM
You can go to Home Depot or get a used fixture without spending to much $$$.

vyerous
01/01/2009, 05:14 PM
I am going to be QT'ing new fish, not necessarily new arrivals, I'm going to get them from the LFS. I'm in the market for a pair of clownfish so I'm hoping this setup will be enough for them, hoping for an already mated pair.

I have a clip on desk lamp with a normal bulb, would that be ok to have on for 3-4 hours a day? I don't want to leave it on too long because I'm sure the algae would just be in heaven, but then again its only 2-3 weeks if all goes well.

WaterKeeper
01/01/2009, 05:21 PM
If you extend that time to at least four weeks I say, go for it.

vyerous
01/01/2009, 05:28 PM
4 weeks huh. Is that because of the pair or just what you QT? I've heard a million different things, I was going to play it by ear.

If I go to my closet LFS their "display" tanks are kind of sketchy to me. I like them, but they will quarantine for a week and dose copper, but one of the guys I'm friends with there said they actually still dose smaller amounts in their display tanks. Any diverse affects from this? Possibly making ich or other parasites more resistive to copper?

WaterKeeper
01/01/2009, 05:33 PM
The QT period hinges around the life cycle of ich and velvet. We QT fish to allow the parasite's complete cycle to take its course. That is about four weeks at 80°. Cutting the period short may result in a outbreak and that is to be avoided.

vyerous
01/01/2009, 05:36 PM
Good to know, tanks for your help, I will have to be extra patient =D

Also, when feeding, should I underfeed to keep waste production down or overfeed to bring them to optimal health to fight off any potential parasites or disease as naturally as possible. On top of that, are the daily water changes mandatory every day or as needed?

vyerous
01/01/2009, 05:37 PM
Lol tanks, I meant thanks.

WaterKeeper
01/01/2009, 05:41 PM
Fatten them up. It is a though world in the display so a famished new fish may have a tough time coping. We QT not only to detect disease but to help a fish that may have had an arduous journey regain strength before adding to the main tank. With a small QT you can overfeed and still make up for it with large water changes, around 25% daily.

vyerous
01/01/2009, 05:44 PM
Sweet thanks again, 'tis true you are a wise man, I'm sure I'll be back within a few days with a new question =D Happy new year!