PDA

View Full Version : Problems with a Sure Flow modded Maxi-jet killing fish!

Kissfan79
01/01/2009, 05:51 PM
Has anyone else had problems with a Sure Flow 1600 modded Maxi-jet 1200 (using the big prop) killing fish by sucking them in on the sides? I have lost 3 fish from the one in my tank. I have lost a copperband butterfly (not too big), a stripped blenny, and now a clown. I really need the flow it produces.....but I don't want it killing any more fish. Any one else encounter this?

Jim

ostrow
01/01/2009, 06:25 PM
Jim: it indicates unhealthy fish in the first place, I'm afraid. I had this with a Tunze. People said this to me and I disagreed. Now I agree.

Kissfan79
01/01/2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. When you say unhealthy fish....what exactly do you mean? The fish themselves seem well as they swim well and eat well. They don't look sick or like they are getting ready to die. They all seem very energetic. Any recommenations? How did you deal with the issue with your Tunze? What made you come to the realization that it was unhealthy fish I.E- How did you find out your fish were unhealthy?

Thanks again, Jim

ostrow
01/01/2009, 06:40 PM
Underfed? Stopped happening?

I ditched Tunzes and went to MJ mods. Haven't had a problem with them except for one fish ... that was thin, sickly.

Kissfan79
01/01/2009, 06:45 PM
Hmmm...interesting. I don't think my fish are underfed. I feed them once a day and they don't look skinny.

Jim

ostrow
01/01/2009, 06:57 PM
Whatever the case, a healthy fish should not be the least affected by a modded mj with a good shroud. There are far more powerful propeller powerheads running than these.

Kissfan79
01/01/2009, 07:05 PM
Here is a pic of the MJ I am using. It is a standard Sure-Flow kit with the 2100 GPH prop. The first two fish were basically "pinned" against the outside of the shroud. When I came home from work tonight.....the clown fish was actually inside the shroud. How it got there I have no idea. Thanks again for the replies.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/kissfan79/100_7529.jpg

Jim

Paulairduck
01/01/2009, 07:06 PM
I have to agree, I have run maximod for years no issues.

Usually sick fish get caught in a maximod, tunze, and korallia.

copperband are notorious for carrying different diseases

Kissfan79
01/01/2009, 07:13 PM
So basically what you guys are saying was that the fish was sickly and was not strong enough to pull away from the in-current generated by the MJ....correct? Are there any ways to test fro disease in the tank? As I said....all of the fish look healthy, energetic, and don't look skinny.

Jim

ostrow
01/01/2009, 07:25 PM
Agreed on the CBB.

And I had a clown disappear recently. If I had to put money on it, it got too close to the props. Clownfish = stupid.

chadfarmer
01/01/2009, 07:46 PM
these are no where as power full as the ocean tides

its a sick fish or dieing fish

just because you feed and they look good desnt mean there isnt something wrong with them

Garage1217
01/01/2009, 08:21 PM
x37.... Fish in poor health "not blaming you at all" from whatever source are the ones that will get blended by a pump. A strong healthy fish has no issue staying away from the suction of that modded maxi or pulling free from it.

Pike614
01/01/2009, 08:26 PM
do you have it on a wave timer of any type? I am running 6 of these and no issues...although most of my fish are 2" or larger.....

mlsund
01/01/2009, 08:30 PM
Here is a pic of the MJ I am using. It is a standard Sure-Flow kit with the 2100 GPH prop. The first two fish were basically "pinned" against the outside of the shroud..... The clown fish was actually inside the shroud.

KissFan79-

Yes - I hear you loud and clear!!! This is what i have to say about the sure flow..

But first my sob/stupidity story..
In the beginning to save money I chose this mod over a koralia powerhead I had two. I cannot speak for the tunze power heads as i have not tried or seen them in action.

The first week on the same day, I lost a carpet anemone and LTA. (like jelly in a blender). With no anemones i thought i was safe. Then I had a midnight angel and Naso tang get stuck on this device. I have seen with my own eyes that the pull is strong enough to suck sand sifting stars off rocks and horse shoe crabs always get caught on the outside of this thing but that is just plain funny....

The reason why is poor design. If you look at the hydor koralia vs the sure flow. The horizontal water inlets reach around and all the way back on the koralia which results in the water being pulled off the glass of the tank from behind. then across the impeller which is not over sized. The inlets on the sure flow stop at the base of the maxi-jet motor and they are very wide resulting in the water being crudely sucked in from all directions.

Have you noticed if it is too close to the surface it creates a horrible sucking vortex that goes straight down to the impeller blade?

For low cost circulation I no longer use Maxi-jet pumps for any reason. The koralia shaped egg gives much better flow with less pressure and sucking

I have a 120 gallon reef and 2 #3's work well for my setup. If you really need that much flow I recommend starting with a #3 or #4

Garage1217
01/01/2009, 08:47 PM
You guys know you can stick the sureflow props & mags into koralia k4 bodies & the black sureflow prop into a k3? The much larger body would eliminate any well blended fish.

mlsund
01/01/2009, 08:55 PM
nice to know.

Kissfan79
01/01/2009, 09:43 PM
I may have to try the prop in the K4. Currently....I have 4 K4's in the 180. One on each end facing in and two on the back wall facing sort of diagonally in. Even though there are 4 K4's....it doesn't seem as though there is enough flow in the center of the tank or enough to circulate the water behind the rock. I was thinking of trying out the new magnums.

Jim

mlsund
01/01/2009, 10:04 PM
You may want to try moving to a closed loop in the future if you need that much flow

mls

Garage1217
01/01/2009, 10:13 PM
Stick the black sureflow props in the k4's & hand onto your sandbed :D

manuelink
01/01/2009, 10:56 PM
my koralias #3 generates a tornado in the water surface but not to hard for suck any fish yet! i suppose the maxijet works at the same manner!