PDA

View Full Version : sand help?

bustedbikes
01/01/2009, 06:30 PM
I took out my live rock it was infested wit bad hair algae, aptisa, flat worms, ick, and I dont know what else, but my sand is still there what to do take it out or OK?

Aquarist007
01/01/2009, 06:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14058249#post14058249 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bustedbikes
I took out my live rock it was infested wit bad hair algae, aptisa, flat worms, ick, and I dont know what else, but my sand is still there what to do take it out or OK?

how long has the sand been in your tank?

not sure how you could tell your rock had ich?

loyalrogue
01/01/2009, 06:53 PM
Do you still have livestock, fish, corals in the tank or is this a complete redo from scratch?

bustedbikes
01/01/2009, 07:00 PM
fish had ick, so I would think rock to, have corals n fish, not stupid,reposting me no good, think?

loyalrogue
01/01/2009, 07:04 PM
Yes, the Ich would be on both the rockwork and sand.
How are you treating the fish?

Best thing would be to move the fish to a QT for the next 6 weeks.
Give them a hyposalinity treatment to clear them of Ich and during that time the Ich will naturally die-off in your main tank without any fish to host.

bustedbikes
01/01/2009, 07:10 PM
how about aptisa and flatworm

WaterKeeper
01/01/2009, 07:15 PM
It will give you some time to calm down while you inject the aiptasia with KW or Joe's Juice. Flatworm Exit works on the worms.

loyalrogue
01/01/2009, 07:21 PM
Even if you removed all the sand, there's a chance both of those pests could survive on your coral bases, so removing and sterilizing all your sand is still no guarantee.

I've had good luck with FW Exit for the flatworms, and manually injecting aiptasia with a syringe full of alk buffer or feeding Joe's Juice.

*edit* I type too slow. WK beat me to it. ;)

Aquarist007
01/01/2009, 07:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14058423#post14058423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bustedbikes
fish had ick, so I would think rock to, have corals n fish, not stupid,reposting me no good, think?

reposting you good--me think
its hard to help you without a clear picture of your problem but I agree with loyalrogue that if the fish have ich they should be taken out of the tank and treated in a qt tank.

You should monitor your ammonia and nitrate levels if you took out all your live rock at once and disturbed your existing sand bed
The necessity of doing that would depend on how long your tank has been established thus the question I asked.

Hair algae also indicates that you have a high level of nitrates and or phosphates. Taking the rock out, scubbing it and replacing it will not rid the hair algae if you don't find out where you are importing the nitrates and phosphates from.

bustedbikes
01/01/2009, 07:45 PM
old news been threw it all, anything else