PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a sump

BradsOcean
01/01/2009, 06:49 PM
I have a jbj nanocube 12gallon. I have a 10g tank laying around and was wondering if it can be turned into a sump w/o drilling my tank? I'm still fairly new at sumps...so i'm not sure if it can work or not. Has anyone done this?
i just thought of something..would i be able to take the return pump in the back chamber and put it in the sump. and somehow i'd have to make the intake to the rear chambers go down to the sump...would this work? thanks

kgross
01/01/2009, 06:50 PM
Without a hole being drilled, or an overflow it will not work.

Kim

BradsOcean
01/01/2009, 06:58 PM
it has a little overflow in the intake that goes back to the rear chambers...i was thinking i could drill a hole in that and fill the surrounding areas w/ silicone...and have some tubing bring that water down to the sump...would this work?

kgross
01/01/2009, 07:00 PM
Will the water have to flow up and over the back glass of the tank? If yes it will no work, if no, it will work fine.

Kim

BradsOcean
01/01/2009, 07:16 PM
it would raise about 1-2 inches....i thought that would be fine since the weight of the 3 feet it'd drop after that would siphon those 1-2 inches...no?

kgross
01/01/2009, 08:00 PM
If you close off that section of the back completely and then build a box for the outside of the tank, and make basicly a hang on the back overflow, with the inner box fastened to the tank.

Then to make it work, you will have to put water into the outside box and fill the u-tube up with water to start the siphon.

Kim