PDA

View Full Version : System Check- Everything Seem OK?

happyclam
01/01/2009, 08:10 PM
I will be finishing my 135 gallon tank soon and I hope it to be a zoanthid/ricordea/leather coral reef. Before I got any corals I just wanted to double check and make sure everything is good as I would hate to kill a coral. Here is what I have:

Tank
-135 gallon tank & 38 gallon sump

Filter
-Tunze 9010 skimmmer
-10 gallon fuge (DSB, macro algae, rock ruble)
-carbon
-10-20% weekly water changes

Light
-(2) 96w Blue PCs
-(2) 96w White PCs

Circulation
-(2) Koralia Magnum 8 powerheads (3250 gph ea.)

Fish
-(2) Ocellaris Clowns
-(10) Blue/Green Chromis (hopefully they don't kill each other)
-(1) Yellow Tang
-(1) Regal Tang

Aquascape
-dry rock (minimalistic approach- highest point 1/2 way up tank height)
-CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand- 120 lbs (1-4")

Sorry to bother you guys, just really freaked out that my tank might not work.

mfinn
01/01/2009, 08:54 PM
How much live rock?

happyclam
01/01/2009, 09:04 PM
6 pieces (2 large shelfs, 4 boulders as supports) of rock, though I will be adding more shortly. I have yet to seed it with bacteria and invert cultures.

Also, I was thinking of adding a Midas Blenny. Would that be too much of a bioload?

mfinn
01/01/2009, 09:08 PM
I meant live rock.
You should be adding live rock to seed your base rock.
Plus your stocking list is just that, a list?
You putting together a plan?

happyclam
01/01/2009, 09:13 PM
Whoops! I will look into some real live rock (I already have an Aiptasia infestation, so any more I get from real LR won't make a difference, sigh......... I hope Peppermint Shrimps are at least semi- effective).

Exacto! Yup, just a stocking scheme as of now, thought I would get your guys input as to if it would be too much of a bioload.

I do have most of the equipment though and saltwater is circulationg through the system. Only equipment I need is the powerheads.

dc_909
01/01/2009, 11:24 PM
I would rethink your lighting. Go T5s instead of PCs

mfinn
01/02/2009, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14059419#post14059419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by happyclam
Whoops! I will look into some real live rock (I already have an Aiptasia infestation, so any more I get from real LR won't make a difference, sigh......... I hope Peppermint Shrimps are at least semi- effective).

Untill the tank has a complete cycle, you don't want to be adding any inverts or fish or coral.

I'm curiuos, if you haven't added any live rock, where did the aptasia come from?

happyclam
01/02/2009, 08:49 AM
dc_909: I really wish I could have, but I already bought the PC's (I bought them before I joined RC so I didn't know I needed more light) and I don't have alot of exrta $ in the budget.

mfinn: While I was setting up my tank, I decided to start my refugium in the sump first and then finish the main tank. I thought if the fuge was already established it would help my display tank cycle faster. So to that end the main tank was just circulating saltwater, but the sump had a sandbed, cheato, and real live rock aquired from Premium Aquatics. As soon as the rocks acclimated and the stuff started popping out a few days later, I realized I had a Aiptasia infestation. I killed all the ones I could see twice with Joe's Juice, but they just kept coming back in waves every two weeks. In the end I got so frustrated that I tore out the fuge and washed down the sump. Though sadly the Aiptasia had already made it the display tank were they quickly spread despite the fact that I don't keep the lights on.

happyclam
01/02/2009, 10:23 PM
Alright, I will just hope for the best that everything will work out OK.