PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: Scripps Acro!

reefrf
01/02/2009, 04:27 PM
Hello,

I have a quick question. I accidentally broke off the entire colony of my Scripps Acro this morning while cleaning the tank. This coral had been growing for the last year & had become HUGE! I glued the entire colony back onto a rock with that common 2 part putty.

My question is, should it be ok even thought i molded the glue around an inch of the bottom part of the branch? I'm thinking I should of waited till the broken piece healed first before gluing. What are your thoughts??

Thanks, Ron

reefrf
01/02/2009, 05:20 PM
Hi guys,

What do you think? I there any reason for me to worry about this? I just don't want to lose this center piece in my tank. Here's a pic before I broke it off.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh154/rfinkelstein/P1010070-2.jpg

reefrf
01/02/2009, 08:21 PM
Any opinions on this???

Salamander
01/02/2009, 10:31 PM
I try not to use 2-part epoxy directly on sps. It seems to heat up a bit as it cures and can kill the base. I don't think it always happens but I've heard others report it too. As long as you params are good it should regrow over it, if it gives you a problem.

And don't worry about not waiting for the end that broke to heal before gluing. Its ok to snap a coral and immediately glue down.

reefrf
01/03/2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks Salamander! That's good to know. I never knew about the glue heating up as it cures.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14067100#post14067100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Salamander
I try not to use 2-part epoxy directly on sps. It seems to heat up a bit as it cures and can kill the base. I don't think it always happens but I've heard others report it too. As long as you params are good it should regrow over it, if it gives you a problem.

And don't worry about not waiting for the end that broke to heal before gluing. Its ok to snap a coral and immediately glue down.

Tswifty
01/03/2009, 04:26 AM
You should be fine. I did something similar with an Oregon Tort frag, and mounted it directly into some epoxy. After a few weeks it grew over the epoxy just like it would a frag plug.

1DeR9_3Hy
01/03/2009, 08:11 AM
Sounds like you just fragged your center piece coral! lol, don't worry about it...give it time and let it get happy again.

btw....there wasn't a small piece that broke off that you would like to ship is there? Thats a purty piece you have there!