PDA

View Full Version : LR hitch-hikers

Skerp
01/02/2009, 06:18 PM
Hey I've seen a bunch of people posting asking which little critters are good or bad, mostly just stuff that comes with the Live rock you buy. Are there many common ones like bristle worms and brittle stars? From what I've read both of those are good to have because they eat detritus. I also remember someone saying that most fireworms are good. Any specific critters that are bad and should be looked out for after adding your LR ??

Matt

cczarnik
01/02/2009, 07:32 PM
Aiptasia, mantis shrimp, non-reef safe crabs, non-reef safe snails, flatworms, nudibranches, parasitic isopods, the list goes on and on. Depending on your live rock you get, you could even see things like octopus, lobster, non-reef safe fish (thest things occasionally come in on tampa bay saltwater rock for example). Usually the more "live" rock has more bad guys (but also more good guys).

Skerp
01/02/2009, 07:48 PM
Sooo I guess the best thing to do is check for things that might have come with the live rock and identify it before I add corals and fish.. .which reminds me i need a new camera. Thanks cczarnik :)

Matt