PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Tops: the good and the bad

Zimster
01/02/2009, 06:21 PM
Currently my aquarium is covered with a custom made lexan polycarbonate top. I am considering to go topless to get more light penetration and i don't know that it will be a good thing for my system.

I would like to know how many people out there have their tanks covered and those who don't. I would also like to know why they do or don't have a cover for their tank.

Thanks! :D

xJake
01/02/2009, 06:47 PM
I can't find the thread, but I know there was a user who built his own lid out of PVC or aluminum and clear plastic screening/netting. It was a very good solution for keeping animals in, allowing maximum light through, and still allowing water to naturally evaporate. I'll keep looking, but maybe someone else could help me out.

Edit:

Here it is: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=817485

Zimster
01/04/2009, 02:56 PM
thanks xJake!!

46FiatYamaha
01/04/2009, 03:05 PM
I removed the glass covers that came with both my tanks since they held evaporated water on the underside and blocked light somewhat. Maybe drilling a few holes would help out, but I've never really bothered with it since I've had them

Crustman
01/04/2009, 04:09 PM
I took the glass off the top of my tank today. It runs cooler and lets in more light. I have the lights built into a canopy.