PDA

View Full Version : recommendation for external return pump, 210 AGA

LisaD
01/02/2009, 07:45 PM
I want to make sure I have a back-up return pump, to eventually replace the one I have. My 210 gallon system came with a Dophin DP-2000, plumbed externally. It seems to run a little hot, and has had small leaks from the seal. Don't have any major complaints, really. Just want to research and buy a good replacement before it's an emergency.

I'm looking for a pump that runs cool, is quiet, and very reliable/durable.

Some recommendations I've heard are Reeflo Dart and Reeflo Snapper. I'm considering these pumps, but would like more input.

Any suggestions? Personal experiences pro or con?

JLF
01/02/2009, 08:40 PM
Hey lisa I don't know if it is the one you are looking for or not but I just saw a reeflo snapper for sale on the selling forum.

DamnPepShrimp
01/02/2009, 10:10 PM
I really don't think you need that much flow through your sump. I am going with something around 1000gph as a return. In my display is where all the flow is though.

LisaD
01/03/2009, 07:13 AM
I don't want to use powerheads in the DT, and the flow I have is pretty good. I don't know what the actual flow is, but my Dolphin DP-2000 gph at a maximum head of 24 feet. Something comparable would be fine.

What kind of pump are you using?

jmccown
01/03/2009, 07:20 AM
I've got an Iwaki RT40 ~750gph....

LisaD
01/03/2009, 09:47 AM
I bought the reeflo snapper, hope that was a good choice. :) thanks JLF.

saltyguy51
01/03/2009, 02:50 PM
I would'nt buy anything other than a Reedflo or a Dolphin pump. If you look at the motor amperage draw verses the gph output you cant beat them. They use way less power than most all other manufacters and run way cooler than any magnetic driven pump unless something is wrong with the seal causing abnormal friction or maybe the impellor need cleaning. I run a Dolphing 4k gph @ 2' and draws only 1.3 amps or around the same as a 130 watt light bulb. On my 150 I run a Supreme Mag Drive 2400 gph @ zero head and draws 254 watts and 3 amperes. My choice will always be Dolphin even more than Reeflo as they have a great warrentee also.

Ncastro1981
01/03/2009, 03:18 PM
Iwaki md70RLT 25.6 gal/min external. Years with no issues. Quiet and reliable.

triggerfreak
01/03/2009, 03:21 PM
i got the snapper on my 210 aga and it is great.just make sure you blow the dust out of it once a month with a can or compressed air and it will work great for you.

LisaD
01/03/2009, 03:48 PM
thanks everyone. I jumped on the snapper, wonder if I should have got a Dart instead. Either way, it's probably an improvement over the Dolphin DP-2000, which I think IS a magnetic drive pump (designed to be used internal or external).

triggerfreak, do you have to dial your pump back at all? do you have anything else for circulation in your tank?

my intake (the sump) is close to the pump, but it has to push water quite a ways through not really wide PVC 3/4" I think). Hopefully, there is not too much resistance.

triggerfreak
01/03/2009, 04:04 PM
Nope it is not dialed back.It is running full and actually i could of went a step up to the dart.I also have 2 hydor koralia 4's in the tank also.

saltyguy51
01/03/2009, 05:22 PM
I think you made a good choice, thats a 2400 gph pump and only uses 98 watts (shouldnt hurt you on electric) and that should be good on your 210.

95Harley
01/03/2009, 05:58 PM
I've got the Dart on my 240g and I love it. You should be fine.

LisaD
01/03/2009, 06:13 PM
thank you, everyone. I appreciate the good advice and input. I don't know what I'd do without this forum. :)

Marc
01/09/2009, 06:26 PM
Lisa,

You can't go wrong with a Pan World pump. Quality and reliablity just like the Iwakis but with less power consumption than Iwaki. Sequence Reeflo pumps made in Colorado are great pumps with a 3 to 5 year warranties and there customer service will do anything to make their customers happy! The only drawback with the Reeflo pumps is you have to replace the seals occasionally which is a pain in the ***...

Marc

DamnPepShrimp
01/09/2009, 11:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14068381#post14068381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LisaD
I don't want to use powerheads in the DT, and the flow I have is pretty good. I don't know what the actual flow is, but my Dolphin DP-2000 gph at a maximum head of 24 feet. Something comparable would be fine.

What kind of pump are you using?

So your only form of flow throughout your tank is the return pump? You must have dead spots everywhere! How much flow do you think you have in the tank? I don't like the look of powerheads either but I'd rather have good flow in the tank. I run a oceanrunner 3500 as my return (900gph) but it only goes up 2ft. Then I run 3 koralia 4's and 2 koralia 3's. I may add a few more powerheads, well see how it goes. That is about 5,500gph through the tank and over 26 times per hour. I've always read that you don't want a high flow rate through the sump. Your skimmer can only flow so much, any more then that and I see it being pointless. I only have a return pump for my skimmer, fuge and filtration. If my skimmer only handles say 600gph, I won't go much more over that. All the flow comes in the tank. This is just how I've always seen tanks, done my this way and have good results. Just my 2 cents, whatever works for you though lisa, good luck, let us know how the new pump is working.