PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead cord and water?

t5Nitro
01/02/2009, 09:16 PM
I was removing a koralia 4 pump to give it a cleaning in water/vinegar. Doing so, I dropped the cord end of it in the water. The cord was unplugged and no power was going to it.... but now the pump will not work in any outlet I put it to.

I remember the koralias doing this before where you unplug then and go somewhere else and they don't work... but even in the same outlet I just unplugged it from the tank it doesn't work.

Pump is shot?

cczarnik
01/02/2009, 09:23 PM
dropping the loose plug in the water won't hurt the pump. make sure you assembled it well and the shaft is in the hole and not sideways. Impeller should turn freely (although springy from the magnet). Sounds like the shaft isn't centered and the impeller magnet is binding.

t5Nitro
01/02/2009, 09:40 PM
Alright, thanks, I will have to check it. I didn't take it apart though which was odd. Just pulled it out and it doesn't work.

Hop
01/02/2009, 09:47 PM
Did you get the shaft seated properly in the nose? This will cause the impeller magnet to press into the pump and not work... I've done this myself a time or two.

t5Nitro
01/03/2009, 04:55 PM
I've never taken it apart. It still isn't working today.

Hop
01/03/2009, 05:03 PM
Well take it apart and clean it;)

If it still doesn't work, Hydor has a decent warranty, although you have to ship your old pump:(

sasharotty
01/03/2009, 07:28 PM
I had a k3 do the same thing.Worked nonstop for about a year,decided i should take it out and give it a bath.Well after it quit working the other 3 were fine.When you plug it in does it hum?Can you feel it tryin to start, if so try push starting the prop.

t5Nitro
01/03/2009, 07:47 PM
Well, it usually does it all the time I take it out to clean it. But this round after Hop said take it apart I found the small white piece that should be at the end of the magnet off the unit and sitting not in line with the rest. Probably stopped the propeller. It didn't hum or anything though. Oh well, it's working like new now. :)