PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer set up

tenderuc
01/02/2009, 09:56 PM
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii337/tenderuc/010.jpg
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii337/tenderuc/017-1.jpg
Having trouble setting up this skimmer. I set it up in a 20 gallon container with saltwater in it and just not able to get it going right or tune right. It is a used skimmer I am trying to set it up to get a 125 reef tank going, yes I know it is probably to small, to old, and outdated by I am new to the hobby and just trying to get going. So bare with me and give me some pointers please. Thanks for your time and input. Tom

tenderuc
01/02/2009, 09:57 PM
The piping after the gate vale may be wrong I dont know it was just what came in the box with the skimmer.

nozleman
01/03/2009, 02:45 AM
Two things, first, the white tee needs to be turned 90 degrees, one outlet up and the other to the side. Second the pump need to feed more direct into the body of the skimmer.

nebraskareef
01/03/2009, 02:59 AM
It also appears you have the venturi on the wrong side of the pump.

tenderuc
01/03/2009, 08:14 AM
OK I can change the piping turn the tee up, but as for a more direct line into the body of the skimmer all parts seem to be original and glue so no moving unless I cut them off then nothing left to put new back on. There is only one pipe coming out of the pump could not put the venturi on the other side. Would there be a place to get the instruction manual from, it so where? Thanks again Tom

nebraskareef
01/03/2009, 09:45 AM
Tom.

What type of impeller is on the pump? Are they normal "flat" blades, or skinny fingers? This may just be a true "venturi" skimmer. If thats the case, leave it as is.

SaltyNovice
01/03/2009, 09:53 AM
Tom,

You might be able to get a look at the manual. I bought a AquaMedic Turbo Flotor 1000 SL when I first started (used). I went to the internet and looked up the manufacturer and they had a pdf file on their website. So if you know what the manufacturer is - you might be able to pull up the manuel. I hope this helps.

tenderuc
01/03/2009, 11:38 AM
OK I turned the tee up and placed the gate out of the tee horizontally, then run piping up to a 90 bend. That seemed to help the problem out a lot because I do not have near the discharge out of the pipe I had before, but still cant keep it from skimming so wet