PDA

View Full Version : Taam/Seio powerheads. like/don't like?

noahm
01/03/2009, 01:38 PM
I am thinking of getting the Seio Surge Prop http://riopump.net/Newmain.html , when in comes out, but would like to know people's experiences in general with the Seio pumps. Do they seem to be long lasting, quiet etc? I have two Koralia 4's, but really like the idea of adding random surge.

Craig Lambert
01/03/2009, 02:18 PM
I have owned 5 seio pumps in two years. Two are in the garbage, and of the three currently running, none will restart on their own if the power is interupted. All three need to be cleaned every 2-3 weeks or they stop running. My calcium is 420 and pH doesn't go above 8.3 so calcium deposts are minimal. I am now running a couple of tunze nano's and will be adding two more on a controller to replace the seios.

xJake
01/03/2009, 02:27 PM
I've never owned them, but I have had experience with them (through friends). IMO, they're not really worth the money and they tend to break down rather quickly. I prefer the Hydor Koralias. The Seio/Rio pumps actually made me suspicious of the Hydor Koralias when they were first released, but the Koralia product-line has turned out to be much more reliable (excluding the #2&3 recall on the motors - which wasn't even really their fault, plus they were responsible enough to recall them).

The new Seios look to be much improved, but I would wait until there is more information about them and how reliable they are. Or if you want to try them, you could purchase them and then post an extensive review on how well they work. I know many people would appreciate such a review.

Toddrtrex
01/03/2009, 03:00 PM
I have 4 SIEO running on different tanks. All of them are over 2 years old and still are running great. They are being run on the wavemaker part of my ReefKeeper I & II. Never had any issues with them restarting, I clean them about every 4 months or so.

noahm
01/03/2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the input so far. The Surge Prop sounds like a good idea, but my thoughts are maybe wait for a different manufacturer to make a similar product unless it is a very reasonable price.

xJake
01/03/2009, 03:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14070920#post14070920 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
I have 4 SIEO running on different tanks. All of them are over 2 years old and still are running great. They are being run on the wavemaker part of my ReefKeeper I & II. Never had any issues with them restarting, I clean them about every 4 months or so.

I kept reading experiences like yours, but everyone I know who has used the Seios has had bad experiences with them. Everything from stray voltage, to jamming up after a few months, to the motor completely burning up.

Rysam
01/03/2009, 07:08 PM
i have a pair of 820's that have been running for over 3 years with no issues.
i also clean mine about every 4 months.

rdelong
01/03/2009, 07:11 PM
I've had both Seio and Rio pumps. All the big Rios and the Seio's eventually won't restart on their own unless you manually agitate them. Don't waste your money. Korallia pumps seem to be much more reliable and comparably priced.

ChrisKirkland
01/03/2009, 07:15 PM
I love the seio's but they consume to many watts for the amount of water they push. (especially when you have 6 or more of them doing it)

Toddrtrex
01/03/2009, 07:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14071027#post14071027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xJake
I kept reading experiences like yours, but everyone I know who has used the Seios has had bad experiences with them. Everything from stray voltage, to jamming up after a few months, to the motor completely burning up.

Funny enough I had one Hydor Koralia 4 that would give me a slight shock anything I had my hand in the tank. (( was giving to me free, from an LFS and I was aware of the issues )).

noboddi
01/03/2009, 07:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14071024#post14071024 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by noahm
Thanks for the input so far. The Surge Prop sounds like a good idea, but my thoughts are maybe wait for a different manufacturer to make a similar product unless it is a very reasonable price.

Actually, the surge pro looks like a taam version of a Vortech, which are great, but not cheap